Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
World War I poem (I think); please help
Posted by: willy makeit (64.61.220.---)
Date: April 21, 2009 01:05AM

I've been searching the internet and every other avenue I can think of, and nothing is coming up.

I don't know the author, or even if it's acually from the first World War, though I think it may be (and I doubt it's by Sassoon, Brooke, Owen, Graves, et al).

I believe it's called "A Prodigious Prodigality"; I also believe it's written by a British officer in requiem for dead comrades, 1914-18.

I recall seeing it (or perhaps just an excerpt from it) as an introduction to a book- black & white photo account- of the siege of Khe Sahn in 1968 in Vietnam.

One of the lines I recall went something like this:

"...we loved you because you were of the same clay as us..."

Searching this poem out has been maddening!

Any help would be...helpful!

Thanks in advance.

Re: World War I poem (I think); please help
Posted by: misterF (91.111.119.---)
Date: April 23, 2009 10:13AM

I don't know the answer to your question. Your best bet is to remember the author of the Vietnam book and get it out of the library.

There is a book by Guy Chapman called A Passionate Prodigality (Echoes of War), published in 1933. Chapman served in both World Wars and following World War II, he began a career as professor of history at the University of Leeds in England. His autobiography, A Kind of Survivor: The Autobiography of Guy Chapman, was published posthumously in 1975.

There may be a connection.

Stephen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.