Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Some Poem i read long ago
Posted by: BloodyScabs (173.52.249.---)
Date: April 08, 2009 08:01PM

I'm trying to remember a poem i read long ago. Help me out?
the first 2 lines are:
"She lived in a house with a haunted stair
And when she was frightened there was no one to care."

I'm not sure whats next but i know that this is another line in the poem:
"She cooked so small a dinner she dined on the smell
and even when she was hungry there was no one to tell."

thank you
-nazifa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 08:10PM by BloodyScabs.

Re: Some Poem i read long ago
Posted by: IanAKB (124.168.37.---)
Date: April 09, 2009 05:50PM

Nazifa, your unpoetic choice of username does not enthuse me to respond. Maybe you were on the losing side in an industrial dispute - but if so, do you really need to parade your anger about that on a poetry site? Unfortunately, once registered for these particular E-mule forums, it's difficult to change any of the registration details. If you want to change, you have to re-register with all new details.

That aside, I say to you what I have said to others in Lost Poetry threads.

It may be difficult to track down the poem you are looking for without more information. The extracts you have quoted may have come from a children's book written in rhyming couplets.

Where and how long ago and in what circumstances did you read the poem? Can you remember whether it was in a book, or magazine, or what?

Ian

Date: April 09, 2009 06:14PM

Well, Ian, i don't mean to be rude but your username isn't really that poetic either and doesn't really "enthuse" me to respond. At least mine is creative. And I wasn't on the losing side of any industrial debate, its just that at the time when i was making the account i had this scab on my heel and i was picking at it and blood came out. So i thought the name "BloodyScabs" would be a cool username. And it is. I don't really want to change it. Maybe you want to change yours into something more interesting, like IanTheArtichoke or something. Just kidding.

More information: I got the poem from "The Random House Book of Poetry" in fourth grade, four years ago. The circumstances? I was on my bed, sitting cross-legged with the book on my lap, looking for a poem for Poem in Your Pocket Day. I think that's sometime in April. April is Poetry Month.

You'll probably think, "oh I'm just a kid, what do I know?" Well, if you are, then my response would be, "You're just an adult, what do you know?" And i'm assuming you're an adult 'cause, well, you sound like one. All stuffy and non-creative.

Also, why would you think i was involved in an industrial debate? What kind of industrial debate is about scabs? And why would i put it in my username? and how does that parade my anger? Make sense, dude. seriously. Who really cares about my username, anyway? And isn't poetry about creativity? There's some serious lack of that here. Everything's all black, white, and gray. But it's still a pretty cool website.

I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way.

With all due respect,
Nazifa

Naziifaaaaaaaaaaaa

Date: April 09, 2009 06:15PM

oh yeah, i read it in America. Brooklyn New York City New York, to be precise.

Naziifaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: IanAKB (124.168.37.---)
Date: April 10, 2009 05:11AM

Thanks for explaining, Nazifa. Apologies for commenting up-front about your username. I was as ignorant about why you adopted it as you were about why I interpreted it as I did (see below).

We shall have to agree to differ in our opinions about what’s cool. That’s all right. There are many opinion differences on this website. Especially on what poetry is about.

You ask “isn’t poetry about creativity?” Well, yes and no. Writing a poem is a creative act. But being creative doesn’t automatically result in poetry. There’s a lot more to it than that. In my opinion.

I’m all for people being creative by coming up with wild ideas. Young people are often best at that. So I don’t mean to dis anyone for being young. Ultimately, though, you have to assess the ideas and choose which to use, and which to reject, and which to incubate for possible use later.

IMO good poetry requires, among other things, a good choice of words. For that, the poet needs to be sensitive to the secondary meanings, or overtones of meaning, that many words have beyond their plain dictionary meanings. Those overtones may be metaphoric, or based on associations resulting from history or current affairs. To evoke the intended effect in a poem, it’s best if the overtones are compatible with the theme.

You are evidently unaware that the word “scabs” has another meaning beside its medical/physical one. It’s the derogatory name unionized labor gives to workers who refuse to join the union or to join a strike or who take over the work normally done by the strikers. And of course “bloody” has a non-medical meaning as an intensifier that can be used to express anger. So your username evoked in me the impression that you were a worker still very bitter about you and your comrades losing your jobs to strike breakers!

Getting back to your enquiry about the lost poem, I shall pass over the overtone of gentle sarcasm in your mention of sitting cross-legged, etc, and say it's great that you remembered that it's in 'The Random House Book of Poetry'. I don't own that book, but someone with access to a decent library might be able to find it soon.

Four years ago, eh? Heck, that's not "long ago". For an "adult" of my age, that's the blink of an eye!

I'm glad you already know about Poetry Month, Nazifa. I'll say what I should have said in my first response. Welcome to Emule!

Stay cool,

Ian

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 10:41PM by IanAKB.

Posted by: misterF (91.111.80.---)
Date: April 20, 2009 03:18PM

A Sad Song About Greenwich Village

She lives in a garret
Up a haunted stair,
And even when she's frightened
There's nobody to care.

She cooks so small a dinner
She dines on the smell,
And even if she's hungry
There's nobody to tell.

She sweeps her musty lodging
As the dawn steals near,
And even when she's crying
There's nobody to hear.

I haven't seen my neighbor
Since a long time ago,
And even if she's dead
There's nobody to know.

Frances Park

Posted by: BloodyScabs (173.77.12.---)
Date: April 20, 2009 08:13PM

thank you very much, sir. i really appreciate this. do you happen to know what the name of the poet was? thank you,
Nazifa

Naziifaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: BloodyScabs (173.77.12.---)
Date: April 20, 2009 08:29PM

i accept your apology and in turn apologize for calling you stuffy. i was pretty annoyed at your misinterpretation. i understand that you jumped to conclusions and it is an honest mistake.

Poetry is about many things, including creativity. Poetry is a way to express yourself and what you believe. Creativity can be shown in many ways, poetry being one of them. in poetry, the words have to flow in a rhythm that matches the meaning, whether it be literal or subliminal. and i understand that not all ideas are practical.

You're right about me not knowing that the word "scabs" had more than one meaning. but it would still be odd to put it as a user name.

A lot can happen in four years. but lately, it seems that time is speeding faster and faster. soon the golden days of childhood will be over. i can't wait.

Thank you for your warm welcome!

Staying cool,
Nazifa

Naziifaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: marian222 (81.159.128.---)
Date: April 21, 2009 12:54PM

Frances Park is the name of the poet, not the signature of the person posting it - (Mister F's name is Stephen). Hope that helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.