Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Rilke poem? DOES ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS by title? Or, if not Rilke, who is the poet? Thank you!
Posted by: floriel (67.162.155.---)
Date: December 25, 2008 07:44AM

The poem goes something like this:

From this cloud, look
Which has so wildly covered the star that just now shone there, and from me

From these dark clustered hills which hold the night,tHe night winds for awhile, and from me.
From this _____ in the valley which has caught the jagged glow of the night sky, and from me.
From me Lord, and from all of this to make
One single thing....

The ending is:

Like a meteor gathers within its heaviness no more than the sum of flight
And weighs nothing but arrival.

Re: Rilke poem? DOES ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS by title? Or, if not Rilke, who is the poet? Thank you!
Posted by: JohnnyBoy (24.189.156.---)
Date: December 25, 2008 02:18PM

From here: [www.nwe.ufl.edu] />
Reading 3 (excerpt)

Rainer Maria Rilke: THE SPANISH TRILOGY
"From this cloud, look!, which has so wildly covered the star that just now shone there--(and from me), [...] from me, Lord, and from all of this, to make one single Thing; from me and the slow breathing with which the flock, penned in the fold at dusk, endures the great dark absence of the world--, from me and every candle flickering in the dimness of the many houses, Lord: to make one Thing; from strangers, for I know no one here, Lord, and from me, from me, to make one Thing; from sleepers in these houses, from old men left alone at the asylum who cough in bed, importantly, from children drunk with sleep upon the breasts of strangers, from so much that is uncertain and from me, from me alone and from what I do not know, to make the Thing, Lord Lord Lord, the Thing which, earthly and cosmic, like a meteor gathers within its heaviness no more than the sum of flight: and weighs nothing but arrival."
(Rilke, SELECTED POETRY OF RAINER MARIA RILKE, Ed and trans. Stephen Mitchell, New York: Random House, 1982).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2008 02:19PM by JohnnyBoy.

Re: Rilke poem? DOES ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS by title? Or, if not Rilke, who is the poet? Thank you!
Date: December 27, 2008 06:24AM

JohnnyBoy, Thank you so much! You solved, what has been for me, a long- standing mystery. F.

Date: December 27, 2008 06:28AM

JohnnyBoy, Thank you so much! You solved, what has been for me, a long standing mystery. F.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.