Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Here Lies a Man
Posted by: mecoach (70.252.74.---)
Date: November 20, 2008 10:39PM

I am looking for a poem or quote. Here are some of the pieces that I can remember.

At the end of the day I can look across the table at my good wife and know that I have been truthful to her.
I have not chased "unbridled??" skirts?

I have not been distracted by the jingle of "illegal??" coins??

And when the day comes and the shadows get long and the smell of flowers are in the air and the sound of the wagons wheels are......

Then let my epitaph be short "Here lies a man"

I used to have this quote posted behind me at work and have not seen it in almost 5 years. I would love to know how it goes.

Please help. Thank you.

Re: Here Lies a Man
Posted by: JohnnyBoy (24.189.158.---)
Date: November 21, 2008 01:14AM

A Masons Prayer.

Teach us that sixty minutes makes an hour, sixteen ounces and also twenty shillings makes a pound.

Help me to live that I may lie down at night with a clear conscience and un-haunted by the faces of whom I have wronged.

Grant that I may earn my meal ticket on the square, and in earning of it that I do unto others as I would that they do unto me.

Deafen me to the jingle of tainted money, and the rustle of unholy skirts. Blind me to the faults of others fellows but reveal to me my own.

Guide me so that each evening when I sit down at the dinner table and look into the face of my wife, who Has always been a blessing to me, I may have nothing to conceal.

Keep me young enough to laugh with children and considerate enough to be sympathetic with old age.

And when comes the hour of darkened shades, and the smell of flowers, and the tread of soft footsteps, and the crunching of wheels in the yard, make the ceremony short and the epitaph simple. “Here lies a man.”
Contributed by Wor. Bro. G. Gunton

Posted by: marian222 (86.158.48.---)
Date: November 22, 2008 05:19AM

I like that - a pragmatist's 'If' - well found, Johnny!

Posted by: mecoach (70.252.74.---)
Date: November 22, 2008 10:53AM

FANTASTIC!!!! That's it!!

Thank you very much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.