Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Poetry as Air Craft - help?
Posted by: Ventifact (24.211.245.---)
Date: November 06, 2008 12:07AM

A few years back a final exam in my poetry class contained a poem I'd never seen before built around a sustained metaphor of poetry as a "craft". The speaker was a member of, if I recall right, a sort of airship or balloon's crew. They might have been pirates. The metaphor also included the sailors casting off all extra weight so their craft could navigate impending mountains. Since it was the last event of the class, I never saw the exam again and so I don't know where the poem comes from, but I thought it was amazing! Does this ring a bell for anyone? Thanks very much.

Re: Poetry as Air Craft - help?
Posted by: LindaD (91.108.34.---)
Date: November 06, 2008 01:08PM

What country, what exam?

For example, if you are in the UK, is the exam GCSE, A level or Degree? Which exam board set the exam, OCR, Edexcel? How many years back? It'll all help to find it.

Date: November 06, 2008 04:09PM

Oh. The exam was in the U.S. It was not a standardized test. It was an exam at the end of a one-semester course offered by a liberal arts college's English department called "Introduction to Poetry". I can't specifically recall the nationality of the poem, though it was almost certainly not translated into English from another language.

Thanks much for any help!

Date: November 06, 2008 04:12PM

Heh -- I almost forgot to mention the test date. It was December 2003.

Posted by: LindaD (91.108.34.---)
Date: November 06, 2008 06:03PM

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help to you. I could probably get a look at past papers for some of the UK exams, but not US.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.