Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
"In scenery I like flat country..."
Posted by: stellamara (68.127.157.---)
Date: June 01, 2008 08:47PM

My senior year of high school (1975) we did a poetry unit for which we all submitted our favorite poem, and our teacher compiled them and ran off copies for everybody. I've always remembered this one poem, but have never been able to remember (if it was even listed) the author's name. This is the poem to the best of my recolection:

"In scenery, I like flat country
In colors, I like browns and greys.

(maybe a missing stanza?)

My wife, a vivid girl from the mountains asks,
"Then why did you choose me?"

Mildly I lower my brown eyes
There are so many things admirable people do not understand"

I've often thought it might be someone like William Stafford or Robert Bly, but have never found it anywhere.
If anyone recognizes this, you would be solving a decades old mystery, and confirming that I am not yet senile.
Thanks

Re: "In scenery I like flat country..."
Posted by: misterF (91.109.230.---)
Date: June 02, 2008 10:38AM

Passing Remark
by William E. Stafford

In scenery I like flat country.
In life I don’t like much to happen.

In personalities I like mild colorless people.
And in colors I prefer gray and brown.

My wife, a vivid girl from the mountains,
says, “Then why did you choose me?”

Mildly I lower my brown eyes—
there are so many things admirable people do not understand.

Posted by: stellamara (216.102.9.---)
Date: June 02, 2008 11:54AM

I'm speechless!

Twenty-three years of searching for this poem, and I stumble on this website, and receive nearly instant gratification.

Thank you misterF, you've made me very, very happy.

(and I have to admit I'm impressed with both my own memory, as well as the power of Mr. Stafford to linger in my soul)

It's cool and gray on the north coast of California (albeit beautiful). I hope all is lovely with you.

Posted by: misterF (91.111.102.---)
Date: June 03, 2008 07:05PM

Raining here in Kent, England, ma'am. Tsk Tsk.
Glad to be of service.

Posted by: stellamara (216.102.9.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 12:04PM

Hmmm, this is my third attempt to reply, so I hope it goes through (and you don't get stuck with three versions of the same message).

When I read your reply on Tuesday afternoon, it was raining here in Eureka, CA, as well.

Today is sunny and warm, and looks to stay that way in spite of what they said on the news last night. Warm is a relative term here. What overheats me can still send my daughter-in-law (born and reared in the inland wine growing country) searching for a sweater when she visits.

The local legend has it that our county airport site (about fifteen miles north on a bluff overlooking the Pacific) was selected during WWII as having the optimal conditions for training US fighter pilots to land in London fog. I've been lead to believe that many parts of England get about four days of summer each year, and that seems to be our lot in life, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2008 12:07PM by stellamara.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.