Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lost poem title about two young boys and a prank gone wrong
Posted by: Mujitsu (69.239.31.---)
Date: September 10, 2007 10:02PM

I'm becoming desperate to try and find this poem. It was read in my creative writing class, and I remember thinking that it was written like a short story, but was in poem form. It is about two young boys who decide to play a prank: they make a man made of straw, and place it on a set of railroad tracks. They lie in wait for a train to come, and sure enough, a train runs into the straw man destroying it. The conductor comes out of the train, terrified that he just killed a man. When he sees the straw, and realizes it was a joke, he begins to yell and scream...and eventually falls to his knees sobbing. The boys, thinking that they were going to get a laugh from their joke, can only watch in mute horror as they watch this grown man fall apart. One of the boys puts his hands over his ears to drown out the sound of the man's cries.

This poem impacted me so much, but I can't remember the name of it. Someone, please help.

Re: Lost poem title about two young boys and a prank gone wrong
Posted by: les712 (68.116.88.---)
Date: September 12, 2007 02:39PM

Musitsu, as is the case with many lost poems, we can't help you without a title or an author. As I've suggested many times, go back to your original source.

If you read the article/poem in a class at school or college, go back there and check with secretaries who may have lists of class sylabi on file which include the name of the works used in a particular class. If the instructor is still alive, they might be contacted and would normally be happy to provide you with the information. If the work was included in a text, copies of that text will probably still exist in the school library, or book depository.

Good luck with your search.

Les

Re: Lost poem title about two young boys and a prank gone wrong
Posted by: marian222 (81.159.128.---)
Date: September 14, 2007 05:13AM

OK, Mujitsu - nobody so far recognises the poem from your first description. For computer searches , failing the author or title, an accurate quote is needed - but if the content is commonplace, you will get huge numbers of hits - too many to sort through. So what is needed is something you are sure is right and which contains either unusual words or an unusual combination of words. The more ordinary the words, the longer the quote you need to reduce the number of hits - for example - searching for 'Brillig' would take you straight to Jabberwocky - you'd need at least 'on either side the river lie' to find The Lady of Shallot. Of course, if the poem isn't on the Internet (possibly because still in copyright) none of that will help and the only way forward is to go back to the source.

You probably know all this, but like Les, I'm just trying to help anybody looking for lost quotes and not getting very far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.