Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
We sailed across the summer sun
Posted by: hsiaoshuang (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 13, 2006 12:23AM

Anyone knows where this excerpt comes from?

"We sailed across the summer sun
From Capricorn to Byzantium
Then touched the stars and polar lights
Twixt brightest noon and deepest night"

Thanks,
Hsiaoshuang

Re: We sailed across the summer sun
Posted by: lg (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2006 03:07AM

I think it's a combination of Canadian and Australian. I'll keep checking
on it.

Les

Posted by: Hugh Clary (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 13, 2006 12:48PM

Does it make any sense? Capricorn is a zodiac reference (I think) whereas Byzantium as an ancient city (Constantinople/Istanbul). The last two lines seem to be jumbled references as well.

Posted by: JohnnySansCulo (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 13, 2006 01:01PM

Sailing from the tropic of capricorn to byzantium makes sense i suppose

still no luck finding anything though

Posted by: hsiaoshuang (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 13, 2006 01:53PM

Hi folks, first of all, my apologies for introducing this "schoolboy" quality verse.

Here's the background: I saw the excerpt in a farewell e-mail message of an employee who is resigning from the company (a big American IT corporation where most of the staff are philistines). After the usual goodbyes and how grateful she was for the opportunity to suck up to her bosses for their "amazing" leadership (corporate folks are sooo obsequious), she is now leaving for another job and here's a piece of poetry to add a "romantic" touch to her farewell message.

Of course the only "poetry" that corporate gorillas and chimps read are those lyrics of meaningless pop songs; any verse that rhymes and has lots of "Sindbad the Sailor" place-names is "romantic".

The first thought that came to my mind was Yeats' Sailing to Byzantium, but of course Yeats is a different kettle of fish altogether.

As philistines, these people would simply copy anything of interest to them, without bothering to credit the author and year. Curious, I decided to search the Web and came across your forum which is able to trace poetry sources. Aha, I thought, surely out there in your Forum is someone who is so dedicated and knowledgeble about poetry that he or she knows the author of any verse or worse!

FYI:

After the farewell writer sent out the e-mail to all 40,000 employees of this global company via the employee Intranet, she sent e-mail no.2 to "recall" e-mail no.1 (meaning to say, please pretend you have not read my first e-mail).

Then, she sent out e-mail no.3 which is exactly the same as e-mail no.1, including the obsequious parts but now with the Byzantium verse deleted. Perhaps, on second thoughts, she felt it was not a good idea, after all, to reveal to her fellow corporate primates that she has a weakness for poetry, no?

Posted by: lg (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2006 02:32PM

Sounds like a nut case to me...

Les

Posted by: JohnnySansCulo (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 13, 2006 02:38PM

"In brightest day
In Blackest night
no evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power, Green Lantern's Light"

[movies.msn.com] />

though I think that Alfred Bester wrote the little ditty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.