Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Playing Cards Poem
Posted by: Gayle Stephen (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: May 08, 2005 02:07PM

In Grade 13 we read a book that had a poem in it explaining all the royal face cards in a deck of playing cards. It described what the kings and queens were wearing and what they had in their hands and why etc. I think it was written by a well known poet but have no idea who. Can't find it anywhere. Anyone recognize it or where I can find it? Thanks.

Re: Playing Cards Poem
Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-01rh15-16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 05:30PM

I remember a similar religious-based explication, but I think it was prose instead of verse. Do you recall any of the lines or words?

Posted by: Bairbre (---.bas502.dsl.esat.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 05:52PM

Wasn't it a country-and-western song about a defendant in a court case or was it a preacher admonishing a churchgoer for bringing the deck of cards with him into church?

Posted by: Bairbre (---.bas502.dsl.esat.net)
Date: May 09, 2005 05:54PM

[www.rosebriar.uk.com]
- have a look at this - is this what you were thinking of?

Posted by: gillyflower (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 23, 2006 05:21PM

I remember a c and w song called Deck of Cards by Wink Martindale, and have seen it credited to T. Texas Tyler. Guess it wouldn't sound the same if it was G. Grimsby Oldthorpe.

Posted by: Lily Neal (82.25.230.---)
Date: October 04, 2007 08:16AM

You might try looking at Alexander Pope's "Rape of The Lock". There is a section about halfway through when the main characters are playing cards, which might easily have been used at school rather than the whole long poem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.