Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
On the Edge, then Flying
Posted by: Holly (63.111.197.---)
Date: October 30, 2004 02:51PM

I was told this morning that there is a poem that would fit perfectly with what I need......

It is something about a woman standing on the edge, she is afraid to take the next step (or jump, or whatever the wording is), but when she does she flies!

Can anyone help me find the poem?

Thanks much !!!

Re: On the Edge, then Flying
Posted by: glenda (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:00PM

This one?

Come to the Edge by Christopher Logue

Come to the edge.

We might fall.

Come to the edge.

It's too high!

Come to the edge.

And they came,

and we pushed,

And they flew.

Posted by: Linda (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:19PM

While you were replying, Glenda, I managed to find Marion's post from General Discussion.

Author: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: 03-31-04 11:22

Dear friends,

This poem is WIDELY mis-attributed so here are the facts, which I urge you to pass along when you see it posted with the wrong author's name.

Also, it's good.

MARIAN

========================

Christopher LOGUE
English poet (1926- )

Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It’s too high!
COME TO THE EDGE!
And they came,
and he pushed,
and they flew.

‘Come to the Edge’, New Numbers (1969). In a profile of Tom Stoppard (The New Yorker, 19 December 1977), Kenneth Tynan described the playwright addressing a class of drama students in Santa Barbara: ‘What is the real dialogue that goes on between the artist and his audience? [Stoppard asks at the end]. By way of reply, he holds the microphone close to his mouth and speaks eight lines by the English poet Christopher Logue ... A surge of applause. In imagination, these young people are all flying.’
Many people have, however, seen the lines attributed to the surrealist French poet Guillaume Apollinaire (1880-1918). For example, Anthony Powell in his Journals 1982-1986 (1995 – entry for 26 October 1982) has: ‘At Royal Academy Banquet [not of this date] when [Margaret Thatcher] spoke, quoting Guillaume Apollinaire in a speech (something about a man walking blindfold over a cliff), passage I did not recognise, tho’ I know Apollinaire’s works fairly well ... Mrs T knew roughly about Apollinaire, a bit vague about quotation (which I still can’t find).’
Accordingly, in 1995, I asked Christopher Logue for his comments. He had an intriguing explanation for the confusion: ‘In 1961 or '62, Michael English and I were asked by Michael Kustow to design a poster/poem for an Apollinaire exhibition he was mounting at the ICA [Institute of Contemporary Arts in London].
‘I wrote “Come to the Edge” and put the words “Apollinaire said” at the beginning of it; a cross between a title and a first line. On the poster, the poem, plus “Apollinaire said:” framed an illustration of clouds. Later, when the poem was reprinted, I dropped the trope. Last year, though, the US “magician” David Copperfield projected a garbled version of the poem on to a screen as part of his show, as well as printing it in his “tour-book” – the show’s programme. I believe the poem has been reprinted in at least one US book without my permission. Maybe it had the trope attached to it still.’ Indeed, a David Copperfield TV special shown in the UK in 1995 concluded with an approximation of the poem ... attributed to Apollinaire.
Mary McAleese recited the poem at her inauguration as President of the Irish Republic in November 1997. Indeed, according to The Observer (23 November 1997), she even had it written into the silk liking of her inaugural evening gown. By all accounts, the poem was properly attributed to Logue on this occasion.

Nigel Rees
MARK MY WORDS: Great Quotations And the Stories Behind Them
Barnes & Noble, 2002

Posted by: ilza (---.162.243.237.user.ajato.com.br)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:26PM

Glenda, if you don't mind ... there is one sentence missing
( the one which causes all the misunderstanding about who wrote it,
when it was Logue, of course, in 1961 I believe,
for an exhibition on Apollinaire's life and work.

Come to the Edge

Apollinaire said:
"Come to the edge.
We might fall.
Come to the edge.
It's too high!
Come to the edge.
And they came,
and we pushed,
And they flew."

sorry, Linda
Posted by: ilza (---.162.243.237.user.ajato.com.br)
Date: October 30, 2004 03:28PM

I didn't see your post . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.