Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Star Trek
Posted by: fred (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 24, 2004 08:27PM

Allright, this is a weird request. I was watching Star Trek, and one of the characters started to recite what sounded like a beautiful poem. I thought the poem tiltle was "A New Life", and the first line goes something like this, " the first time I saw you started a new page, a new chapter in my life". I did a seach on "A New Life" but nothing came up. For all I know, this poem does not exist. But if it does, somehow I think it may be a rather beautiful poem. I thought the author sounded French. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: trying to find a poem
Posted by: Linda (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 25, 2004 02:33PM

Which episode of Star Trek?

Re: trying to find a poem
Posted by: fred (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 25, 2004 05:54PM

It was the Star Trek series with Kate Mulgrew as the captain. Of course it's only in reruns now. I'm not a trekkie, but when there 's nothing else on sometimes I'll tune in. The episode centered around a character who was a doctor, but he is only a hologram. At one point, there were 2 crewman who were injured in an alien attack. He could only save one crewman, so he chose his friend to save. Anyway, he starts feeling guilty about making the choice to save his friend rather than the crewman who was just an acquaintance. Can you imaging a hologram feeling anything? He starts feeling so guilty that he starts to get hysterical. So the captain decides to erase his memory, which the doctor resents. But the captain has second thoughts, realizing that the hologram is acquiring a soul so to speak and the crew should let the hologram work throught the guilt rather than just erasing his memory. They decide to keep a vigil watching him 24 hours so that he doesn't harm himself. Maybe weeks have elapsed and the hologram's getting no better. One night the captain is keeping vigil with the hologram, who is pretty much incapacitated, just sitting doing nothing while the guilt tortures him. She's reading a book of poety as it turns out, telling the hologram it was written a thousand years ago on earth. She said something to the hologram and leaves the room, but leaves the book open. The doctor, the hologram, picks it up and starts to read it. And you knew at this point somehow the doctor was gong to be allright. I thought to myself isn't it true, that at times we are drowning in our troubles, simply passively letting our thoughts torture us. We think if we think about it long enough, we'll be able to resolve the problem. But some problems aren't like that. They never go away or resolve themselves. You just have to accept them and go on with your life, choosing diversions to try to forget as best you can. So it was only when the doctor found a diversion, poetry, that he was on the way to healing. I really don't have any interest in poetry. I remember as a schoolboy thinking some poems were very nice, but never had much of an interest. Not exactly a brief synopsis of the star trek episode, but I would like to find that poem. As I said in my posting, it may not even exist. It may have been a French poem, maybe that's why it didn't come up in my search. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.