Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Poem about owls
Posted by: StephenFryer (---.l4.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 09, 2004 03:09AM

Does anyone recognise this?

At twilight they come out.
Like floating paper glide along lanes,
noiselessly dipping over hedges,
or fanning their ghostly way
around the houses, down the avenues,
ears and eyes set for the kill.

Stephen

Re: Poem about owls
Posted by: marian2 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 10, 2004 06:28AM

Yes - it's about barn owls and I can't pin it down. Will think and come back.

Date: April 12, 2004 07:44AM

After a very long think, and a lot of looking through books, I've discovered where I've seen it before - it's one of the quotes for identification in Nemo's Almanac this year, so I won't know the answer (unless I come across it by chance) until the quiz is over and I get the results - sometime around Christmas! Sorry! I found 3 good owl poems - The Owl by Edward Thomas, same title by Randall Jarrell , and Laurie Lee's Town Owl - very visceral, that was the one I thought you'd quoted.

Posted by: StephenFryer (---.l2.c1.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 12, 2004 06:11PM

Thanks marian: I'm not really a Nemo cheat, I was asked to find this by a friend and unwittingly emuled it. Mea culpa.

Stephen

Posted by: Linda (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 12, 2004 07:32PM

Careful, Stephen, this is where we went out from the poetry library.

Date: April 13, 2004 04:56AM

It never crossed my mind you might be a Nemo 'cheat', Stephen - I thought it a co-incidence or that you'd been asked by a Nemo 'cheat' and didn't recognise the fact.

Actually, the chap who writes the Nemo quiz has no beef with people using the Internet or asking others for some of the answers - he wrote about it in his introduction one year; the means used to solve them he leaves to the conscience of the entrants but it's generally accepted by the entrants that you only ask for help with one or two clues from that sort of source (unlike the case in the poetry library debacle Linda refers to - someone just put loads of the clues on the site and expected other people to do all the work for him/her). The prize isn't huge (50 for the winner, 40 and 30 dfor the 2nd and 3rd) it's mainly the satisafaction of solving the clues and the fun of taking part that motivates folk. I've bought Nemo's Almanac for the last 4 years and haven't entered yet because I find so few of them, but really enjoy looking and also finding out where the ones I recognise but can't source came from (the answers are in the next quiz, so you can get them even if you don't send an entry in for marking. At 2 for the quiz book and marking it's the best bargain I buy all year!

Posted by: Backbone (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 18, 2004 07:14AM

Hi,
Could you please tell me where you purchase your copies of Nemo's Almanac as I am having difficulties located on.

Posted by: Backbone (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 18, 2004 07:16AM

That's 'locating one' by the way: sorry my fingers slipped.

Posted by: marian2 (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 18, 2004 09:42AM

You send 2.50 to Gerard Benson at 46 Ashwell Road, Manningham, Bradford BD8 9DU and he sends it to you. The closing date for the 2004 competition was 1 September, so it is too late to enter this year, but back copies are usually available if you just want it for interest. Otherwise, just ask him for the 2005 edition when it comes out - I got a reminder about the new quiz from him pposted on 20 October last year , so it may be out now.

Post Edited (10-22-04 07:44)

Posted by: Pamela (---.bus.csupomona.edu)
Date: October 18, 2004 09:29PM

What is 'Nemo?'

pam

Date: October 19, 2004 04:30AM

Nemo (proper name Nemo's Almanac) is annual literary quiz - 2005 will be its 114th year. It consists of 6 quotations (prose and poetry) for each month, plus one on the outside cover and there is a theme for each month. You have to source each quotation and get marks for getting them completely or partially right (eg you might get marks if you source an early quote of the correct quotation rather than the source, or if you get the author right but not the poem/book etc.) The owl quotation Stephen started this thread with was one of the quotes for October in the 2004 quiz- 2 others in that section are :

'at eight o'clock I opened the window to the woods
and an owl about the size of a vicar
tumbled across in a boned gown'

and
'When hazel-nuts wax brown and plump,
And apples rosy-red,
And the owlet hoots from hollow stump,
And the dormouse makes its bed.

The subject for November was hot water bottles and warming pans and that for December boxes.

I usually can recognise about 3 of the 73 without looking anything up and find about 12 altogether, so I don't bother to send my entry in for marking (though that is included in the cost of the booklet). If you buy the next year's quiz there are answers to the previous years and comments on some of the more unusual responses, common errors etc at the back, so you can look up the whole work if you like it. It's great fun, incredibly frustrating, and I gather is a bit of a cult thing in some circles - apparently one 'society hostess-type' hands out copies at her dinner parties and asks her guests to help do it. I suppose it broadens the conversation from how you got there through the traffic jam and the roadworks! There are no rules about how you get to the answers, but a dim view is taken (by some) of those who simply post all the quotes on the Internet and expect other people to find them.

The present editor is the poet Gerard Benson, who wrote one of my favourite children's poems How to Catch an Elephant.

Posted by: RJAllen (193.114.111.---)
Date: October 19, 2004 12:46PM

There isn't much point in posting on the internet, unless you ask for private notification. The answers will be available for anyone who is googles.

Date: October 20, 2004 04:23AM

Quite - and if enough people do it and get correct replies, the quiz will become pointless from too many 'winners' and probably stop. I'll post the answer to the original owl quote when I get my 2005 copy (on order).

Date: October 22, 2004 07:42AM

Nemo 2005 arrived this morning. The owl quote starting this thread comes from Owls by Leonard Clark. Sadly, aquick google didn't unearth it and I've no time to pursue it further - yet.

I am comforted to discover that only a third to a quarter of the people who buy the quiz send it back for marking, so I'm in good company.

Hey, Backbone!
Date: October 22, 2004 08:42AM

Nemo has gone up to 2.50 this year, but is well worth it. I didn't know when I posted the address, above.

Date: October 23, 2004 06:29AM

Who wrote the other two?

Date: October 24, 2004 05:19AM

'at eight o'clock I opened the window to the woods
and an owl about the size of a vicar
tumbled across in a boned gown'

was from 'Owl Village' by Alice Oswald

and

'When hazel-nuts wax brown and plump,
And apples rosy-red,
And the owlet hoots from hollow stump,
And the dormouse makes its bed.

cam from Alfred Austin's 'Is Life Worth Living'

They are both completely unfamiliar to me (poets and poems) - but I think Alice Oswald is worth looking for, just on the strength of the 3 lines quoted.

Date: October 24, 2004 12:18PM

Alfred Austin was the poet laureate who wrote
"Across the wires the electric message came:
He is no better. He is much the same."
After Tennyson died there was a gap of years and then...AA got the job. A leading contender for the worst evr PL- though there's some strong competition. It was Alice Oswald I was interested in though.

Posted by: StephenFryer (---.l4a.c1.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: October 24, 2004 01:52PM

Dart, by Alice Oswald, won the 2002 T S Eliot Prize: it is superb.

[home.comcast.net] />

Stephen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.