Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Think of me at night
Posted by: Columbia (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: February 14, 2004 03:46AM

Can anyone identify the author of this poem, I read it some years ago and wrote it down in a book I keep, but I did not write the author's name in.

Think of me at night when sleep is near
and I who love you are so far away
Think of me then and I will come to you
nor leave you til the night turns into day
Stretch forth thy hand and through the depths of dark
another hand will touch thy fingertips
And as of old my voice wil breathe thy name
and press a kiss upon thy sleeping lips.

Re: Think of me at night
Posted by: Trish (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2004 11:13PM

I would like to know the author and source of this poem as well.

Thank you.

Posted by: Columbia (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: April 09, 2004 02:25AM

Sorry I have not been able to find the author yet, I have known the verse for many years, but did'nt make a note of who wrote it, I have put your address into my file and if I do trace the author I will pass it on to you.

Posted by: moira (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: April 09, 2004 08:28AM

Hi
I to am searching for the author of this poem would you please notify me if you ever get it
Also do you know if there are any more verses
My sister heard the poem on the world service during the night and mean't to listen out for the author but fell asleep

thank you
Mora

Post Edited (04-09-04 07:31)

Date: April 09, 2004 09:28AM

I've e-mailed the World Service Radio in the hope that someone there will research and reply to my e-mail. And in the meantime I continue my search. I will post any results

Date: April 13, 2004 08:51AM

This poem was also seen in The Sunday Post Newspaper in Scotland
approx 2 years ago on the FrancisGay Page (francisgay@sundaypost.com)
I have e-mailed them twice but have had no response also e-mailed
query@sundaypost.com but will have to wait until query is published
Will keep in touch

Date: April 14, 2004 12:23AM

Thanks so much, Moira. I've heard nothing from the World Service Radio and have exhausted all other possible resources. Perhaps I will e-mail Sunday Post as well. Strength in numbers!

Posted by: moira (---.friaco.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: April 26, 2004 06:45AM

Have received e-mail from query@sundaypost.com
they have searched but to no avail,have confirmed with them to put on favours page
unfortunately they cannot guarantee an appearance of our request owing to space in their column
we can only live in hope
Moira

Date: April 28, 2004 08:21AM

I have heard from Audience Relations at the BBC World Service. They ask for the date and time [GMT or local, with location in the world] the broadcast was heard so that it might enable them to identify the program and forward the inquiry to the relevant producer.

Progress!

Date: April 29, 2004 09:46AM

Have supplied Trish with the information she was seeking hope it helps
Program heard in Ayrshire Scotland
3.-3.30.am weekend in 2001
program was poetry

Moira

Posted by: Moira Lennox (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: May 05, 2004 05:56AM

Have traced the poem with help from chat@nypl.org to a guest book quote
www.legacy.com/Guestbook.asp?Page=GuestBook&PersonID=105750&Guest...
where is was enterd by
Mary Wells AZ
Trish is trying to trace an e-mail address for the lady
Will have to wait and see
Moira

Date: May 13, 2004 09:01AM

Does anyone in this big wide world know how I could trace an e-mail address for Mary Wells Glendale Arizona this being the Mary Wells who posted the poem "think of me at night when sleep is near" on the guestbook of Sergeant First Class Deborah Lee Johnsen

online at [www.legacy.com]

I have contacted the main library in Glendale Arizona asking for suggestions but still to receive reply
Moira

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-01rh15-16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: May 13, 2004 12:36PM

[www.411locate.com]

Folks with only a first initial are usually women:

(http://tinyurl.com/3xrrk)

Also:

[www.freeality.com] />
[peoplesearch.addresses.com]

Date: May 13, 2004 12:59PM

A thousand thanks Hugh I shall try
Moira

Date: May 18, 2004 05:38AM

This is the latest from Moira

Moira,

Thank you for waiting. I was hoping I would have some information for you by now. But I think what would work the best, would be for you to contact the sites listed below directly.

[www.spl.org.uk] (web address)

librarian2@spl.org.uk (email address)

I do not know if I included this link in my original message. If I did not, I will include it this one.

[www.emule.com] />

There are message boards for posting questions and answers at this site. You might find more help here.

I have sent a note to guestbookquestions@legacy.com asking if they could provide a telephone number or an email address for Mary Wells of Glendale, Arizona; but so far I have not received an answer. You may want to do this yourself. By doing so, they would have your email address so you could be contacted directly if they have any information on Mary Wells. Or, with your permission, they could pass your email information onto Mary Wells.

I have checked our local telephone books and did not find an entry for a Mary Wells with a Glendale address. There are two websites that we use for telephone numbers, anywho.com and switchboard.com. Both of these had entries for a Mary Wells, but again, none with Glendale as an address. I will keep a copy of your question and I will pass along any information I may receive.

Good luck again. I hope to visit your county some day. Glendale is just outside of Phoenix, and growing too fast for me.

Bette

Posted by: Mary Wells (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: June 07, 2004 01:14PM

"Think of me at night when sleep is near" is a memorial poem, which appears regularly in North American newspapers. No author is ever mentioned.

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-03rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 08, 2004 01:25PM

Hey, it's Mary Wells! Thanks for the considerate note.

Nicely found, Moira - too bad the author is still anonymous, but c'est la vie.

Date: June 14, 2004 08:07AM

Hello Everyone
The sunday post published my request on their favours page on sunday 11/6/04 I had 3 phone calls on sunday with offerings of the verses which we already had
Monday came a letter which states the author is Winafred Greaves maybe it could be Winifred
The lady says she collected the poem when she was in the WRENs in 1949
I can't get a trace on the author

Can anyone help
Moira

Date: June 14, 2004 01:50PM

Message to Hugh
Have you any ideas how to look for Winifred Greaves I cannot find any trace of her

Moira

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-04rh16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 14, 2004 03:10PM

No clue, sorry.

Date: June 15, 2004 09:11AM

Have received 15 letters offering the verses we already have one lady suggests the author could be Lawrence Hope but again no luck in my search

any suggestions

Moira

Date: June 16, 2004 09:18AM

Another 12 letters
One Gent suggests the title is - Keeper of my Heart
and adds an extra line at the end
"Before the dream has chance to fade away"
Just for interest he found the poem on a piece of paper on a street in Korea in 1953 when serving with the army he sent it home to his now wife who still has the paper
Moira

Date: June 16, 2004 01:54PM

Weird - what an adventure you are having!

Date: June 24, 2004 09:18AM

I hope this is the last letter I have received through my request via The Sunday Post received today thursday 24/6/04 (over 50 letters numerous phonecalls)
This lady writes she knew about our poem in the 1940's It was written by an airman who apparently was killed and the poem was found among his personal effects she calls it Anonymous Poem

I think I will give up now and I thank everyone who helped
Moira

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-03rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 24, 2004 11:59AM

Well, shucks. Stop back by periodically, though. Sometimes answers come from folks who read old messages and a particular topic rings a bell.

I suspect, from the archaic 'thy', that it may have been written quite a while before the 1940's. If you are sure of the first line, I remember some huge volumes of poetry that all used the name Home Book (of Verse). Written on onionskin paper, they had zillions of old poems nobody ever heard of. [tinyurl.com] />
Perhaps there will be copies in your local library?

Bonne chance!

Posted by: Linda (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 24, 2004 07:04PM

I'm not convinced that the use of "thy" necessarily indicates age, if it really was an old poem surely "thee" would also be used?

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-02rh15-16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 25, 2004 11:20AM

Instead of 'you' for 'thee' and 'thou'? Absolutely. Inconsistent, so likely not an accomplished poet.

Likewise, "and I who love you are so far away" when it should be 'am so far away', but that could just be a memory failure.

Posted by: Johnny SansCulo (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 25, 2004 11:38AM

Put thine hands in the air like thou does not care!

Posted by: Chris Newnham (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 22, 2004 06:24AM

This poem was in the effects of my Uncle who died 1999, it is among the works copied by him in his war poems. No author is credited, but other works include Tennyson, Kipling, Wordsworth, but as our birthplace was the Isle of Wight in Britain, its not really surprising. The island was awash with poets both resident and visiting during the Victorian era.

Also my family were mostly engineers, who watched with reserved occupations as many of their friends marched off to war and never returned - twice, WW1, WW2, my parents were married at the start of WW2, I imagine a huge amount of poetry was written then.

Posted by: marian2 (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 23, 2004 04:54AM

Moira Leenox's post of 24 June says:

This lady writes she knew about our poem in the 1940's It was written by an airman who apparently was killed and the poem was found among his personal effects she calls it Anonymous Poem

I wonder if the lady concerned is getting muddled with either 'High Flight' or 'Do not Stand at my Grave and Weep' - both of which have very similar stories attached to them, which seem to resurface regularly . The former is definitely by John Gillespie Magee Jr - the authorshop of the other is, as far as I am aware, still not definitely traced. Unless of course, you know different.

The problem is that lots of people who never wrote anything before were stimulated to write poetry during the 2 world wars when they were away from loved ones. Some were fledgling poets, many cut off long before their prime, others were just more emotionally moved and bereft than they ever would be again.

Even more, many times more, were given or gave poems to loved ones fighting or waiting at home, often hand written copies made without authors or titles as away of expressing what they wanted to convey about the situation. Such poems appeared in newspapers and magazines as a resource for that very purpose When such people didn't come back, these attained very special significance to the bereaved, and were kept in purses and sock drawers and handed on to children etc, and submitted to more magaizines, newspapers and anthologies about the wars. It's hardly surprising we don't know who wrote them.

On a similar theme, - I once read a book called The Shelter Book by Clemence Dane once, which was full of morale-boosting and distracting poems and bits of prose and short stories etc, written to take your mind off the Blitz. Full of interesting stuff - I mined a number of the poems for my collection - some very famous and others I've never seen anywhere else.

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.ne)
Date: August 24, 2004 12:05PM

It also reminded me of John Magee when I first saw it, but I leafed through my collections of his works and did not find it.

Turns out this is the one I was (mis)remembering:

Immortality

I will not say that men will not forget you,
Nor boast that your brown eyes will never fade;
I should be living, had I never met you,
But I'd have lived alone, and in the shade...
I will not praise your laugh, your graceful walking,
Nor say that death will never close your eyes --
There have been those who praised a woman's talking
-- Said it would live for ever. These were lies.

The time will come, dear heart, when suddenly laughter
Dies on the lips, glad hair turns quickly grey;
And friends will have forgotten shortly after --
But I shall say, that once your skin was fair,
And as you stood beside me in the trees
A petal fluttered down upon your hair...
--John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Posted by: marian2 (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 24, 2004 01:19PM

That's lovely, Hugh, and new to me - thanks so much for posting it.

Posted by: Clive Parsons (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2004 07:11AM

No help - but I don't blame you for writing it down its beautiful.

Clive

Posted by: IanB (---.tnt11.mel1.da.uu.net)
Date: August 28, 2004 12:14AM

Thanks, Hugh. A poem worth collecting.

Am I mistaken in thinking it's unorthodox to have two unrhymed lines like that in the last six lines of a sonnet?

Date: August 31, 2004 02:31PM

Excellent point. I had not even noticed the 'error' previously. I just now looked at my two books that include the poem, and I see they both have the text exactly as it is shown above. Should be 'after/grey/laughter ... fair/?/hair, where ? is a rhyme for grey. Could be that grey should be a rhyme for trees, yup.

Looking for acceptable rhymes for either word that fit the mood and rhythm, I couldn't find any either. Well, grey and hay, right, but that is no better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.