Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bucephalus
Posted by: Lev (---.manc.broadband.ntl.com)
Date: January 04, 2004 05:28PM

Hi
My wife and I are looking for a poem about Alexander the Great taming his horse Bucephalus. The only words she can remember are as follows:

"...his spurs bit deep and his whip went crack, Bucephalus knew he had found his master..."

We know it is not much to go on, but any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Lev Baddley

Lev Baddley

Re: Bucephalus
Posted by: IanB (---.tnt11.mel1.da.uu.net)
Date: January 11, 2004 08:15AM

Lev,
You posted this question a couple of times on the now defunct Poetry Library Lost Quotations site, and in response to the more recent of those I commented that the action described in your lost poem (using spurs and whip) was completely inconsistent with the famous classical story of how Alexander tamed Bucephalus. In that, Alexander's success with the horse that no one else could ride was achieved by kind words and by turning the horse's face towards the sun so it could no longer see and be frightened by its own shadow. There's a long poem by Park Benjamin telling the classical story.
Where does your wife remember encountering the poem you are looking for, and are you sure you have the right horse?

Ian

Date: January 11, 2004 10:45AM

Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply, but my wife insists that those are the words she remembers from the poem. I will keep looking
Cheers
Lev

Lev Baddley

Posted by: StephenFryer (---.l3.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 11, 2004 04:30PM

She may be thinking of Banjo Paterson: go here -

[whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au] />

Stephen

Date: January 12, 2004 01:37PM

Hi
Thanks for your efforts, but this isn't the poem we are looking for. It is specifcally about Alexander the Great taming his horse Bucephalus.
Cheers
Lev

Lev Baddley

Posted by: IanB (---.tnt11.mel1.da.uu.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 08:47AM

Stephen

Thanks for that link. What a pleasure to discover a lively bush ballad by 'Banjo' that I hadn't seen before. Lively rhyme scheme too.

Ian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.