Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
man weighs dog
Posted by: annie (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 03, 2003 09:36PM

hey guys,

i'm looking for the title of a poem i read a few months ago... apparently it won a great prestigious award, but still i've managed to forget what it was called. anyway, it was about this man weighing his dog by holding his dog and standing on a scale, subtracting his weight from the total weight. and this event reminds him of a past love of his, and only now he realizes how great the other person was, by subtracting his "greatness" from the total "greatness" of their relationship. that's basically the whole poem. it was short and sweet and amazingly beautiful.

anyway, thanks in advance for your help!
annie

Re: man weighs dog
Posted by: Henry (213.78.160.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 12:53PM

I'm still looking for the poem, but calculating the weight is not always straightforward.

At a pharmacy, a Goober woman asked to use the infant scale to weigh the
baby she held in her arms. The clerk explained that the device was out for
repairs, but said that she would figure the infant's weight by weighing the
woman and baby together on the adult scale, then weighing the mother alone and subtracting the second amount from the first.

"It won't work," countered the woman. "I'm not the mother, I'm the aunt."

Posted by: Tigermonkey (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 12, 2003 06:06PM

Not remotely connected with the poem I'm afraid (haven't found it yet either) but... my dog has a squint. Took him to the vet, who picked up the dog and carried him over to the window so he could see his eyes properly. After a moment, he said, "I'm going to have to put him down." "What?" I cried aghast. "But he's only got a squint!" "Yes," replied the vet, "but he weighs a ton and my back's killing me..."

Posted by: Henry (213.78.98.---)
Date: July 14, 2003 04:45PM

Apologies for the jokes. I'm afraid the internet hasn't revealed anything resembling your poem. I'm sure others are searching too. Henry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.