Lost Poetry Quotations
 In search of a long lost poem? Remember only a fragment? Post here! 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Lost Poetry Quotations

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Looking for a poem
Posted by: dpb (---.att.com)
Date: June 13, 2003 04:53PM

A friend told me about a poem I'd like to read. I is about the moon, when it is a sliver in the sky, collecting the souls of the recently departed and by the time it is a full moon it has carried those souls to heaven. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Re: Looking for a poem
Posted by: marian2 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 14, 2003 05:07AM

Sounds lovely - I'd like to read it, too. Can you get any more information from your friend - like a phrase or a line that's definitely in it - that would make searching a lot easier than just a general description. If you find it eslewhere, please post it here.

Date: June 16, 2003 04:06PM

Marian2:

I appreciate your interest and am hoping you can help find the poem.

The poem may have been from Persia.

My friend gave me two lines, each could be worded in one of two ways.

First:
... continues on it's path collecting the souls of the departed
- or -
collecting the souls of the dearly departed.

Second:
... full moon delivers the souls and begins it's journey again
- or -
when the moon is full it delivers the souls and begins it's journey again.

Thanks,
dpb

Date: June 17, 2003 04:53AM

I'm trying hard, but not getting anywhere at present, either on the Internet or in books. I'll persevere for a bit longer.

Date: June 18, 2003 10:57AM

I do appreciate your efforts; thanks very much!! I tried looking myself but ran out of search ideas. Where are you searching and how are you going about it?? Maybe I'll learn something new and be able to continue looking periodically in the future.

Thanks again,

dpb

Date: June 18, 2003 05:04PM

On the Internet, I searched using google and selected bits of the lines you quoted - no joy. Then I looked up key words in my 2 dictionaries of quotations, but the snag with that is that there are loads of entries for moon and soul, but not sufficient information on each one to tell me if it's the right quote; even when I go and look at the quotation if it's from a different part of the poem, I probably wouldn't realise it. They don't put the whole poem in, you see, just the most memorable or famous bit. I also have a lot of poetry books and have collected a lot of individual poems which appeal, but the peom you are after isn't one I've come across before, so won't be in the latter, and may not be in any of the books.

The best information to find a poem is either the title, first line or author if looking in books; an unusual word or combination of words for the Internet. With either, you'll only find it if it's there but if the information is too general and uses common words or common combinations of words, you won't find it on the internet or in a quotes dictionary even if it is there - it'll be buried among huge amounts of other stuff. Sometimes a whole verse, showing the style of a poem will give an idea of who the poet might be, or when it might have been written - I have a set of Wards English Poets, which covers poems from before Shakespeare to the late 19th Century - and that might give me an idea of where to look. Knowing where someone heard a poem helps at times, too. I took over 20 years to find one poem I was particularly interested in, eventually tracking down the author and writing to him, and have been looking for one for a friend for about 5 years, but usually they turn up within a week or so if they are going to.

I read quite a lot of poetry anyway, so tend to come across things sometimes when I've stopped looking, but I've found this site is the best way of getting information quickly and answers most queries - I'm sorry no-one is having any luck with yours yet.

Keep hunting - it'll turn up one day in the most unexpected place!

Posted by: Margo (---.ca.shawcable.net)
Date: June 22, 2003 02:59PM

I am looking for the author of You are a child of the Univers

Posted by: Les (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 22, 2003 03:26PM

Margo the poem is called Desiderata, for info. about the author go here:

[www.jump.net] />
Les

Posted by: kerri (198.53.251.---)
Date: June 22, 2003 11:30PM

Looking for title and author "If you think you are beaten, you are..."

Posted by: Les (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2003 02:44AM

Kerri-

Here you go:

<[www.emule.com] />
Les

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.