Homework Assistance
 Your teacher given you an impossible task? In search of divine inspiration to help you along? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Homework Assistance

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Help please!!
Posted by: patinya (66.217.107.---)
Date: September 04, 2007 07:11PM

My instructor asked us to analys this poem by William Yeats, "She hears me strike the board and say, that she is under ban, of all good men and women, being mentioned with a man, that has the worst of all bad names; and thereupon replies, that his hair is beutiful, cold as the March wind his eyes." What kind of the man is this father? who is doing the banning? What is his point in the poem? Please give me some idea, I have to write a page and a half about it.
thanks

Re: Help please!!
Posted by: LindaD (91.108.5.---)
Date: September 05, 2007 09:54AM

According to the notes at the back of my copy of Yeats' Selected Poetry, it is about his daughter Anne Yeats who was about seven or eight when it was written. The man was Fergus Fitzgerald.

It echoes Gerorge Herbert's "The Collar" [rpo.library.utoronto.ca]

Re: Help please!!
Posted by: LindaD (91.108.46.---)
Date: September 06, 2007 04:55PM

And knowing the age of the daughter, isn't the interpretation not "tyrannical father thwarting young woman's wishes" but more "loving father trying to protect child from a potentially predatory adult"

That's looking at it in modern terms. I know nothing of Fergus Fitzgerald and what sort of man he was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 04:57PM by LindaD.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.