Homework Assistance
 Your teacher given you an impossible task? In search of divine inspiration to help you along? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Homework Assistance

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
plz help me to understand this issues
Posted by: monmon50 (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 02, 2006 06:27PM

hi everybody
i want someone to make me understand this things in any poem
this things are(tone of the poem-theme-how to pick up music in the poem-dramatic effects)
i will be so grateful if you helped me
any one understand these things,plz send me

MoNy

Re: plz help me to understand this issues
Posted by: IanB (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 03, 2006 10:36AM

Mony, your starting point should be to understand the meaning of each of the things you have asked about, and how they are likely to be found in poems. You won’t necessarily find all four of them in ‘any’ poem. There are too many different kinds of poems.

Perhaps the easiest on your list is ‘theme’. That means the topic or subject of the poem, briefly described. It can also mean the assumptions or philosophy underlying the treatment of the subject in the poem. Sometimes the theme is fairly obvious. For instance there are love poems in which the theme is ‘Let’s make love while you are still young and attractive’. At the other end of the scale there are poems so obscure that it is difficult to say what their theme is. Fortunately you are unlikely to be expected to study any of those. In between, there are plenty of poems on which opinions on what their theme is may differ. You only need to form a reasonably convincing opinion.

The ‘tone of the poem’ means something like the ‘tone of voice’ when someone speaks to you. What feeling or emotion or attitude is being conveyed by the language used? For instance, does the language in the poem strike you as angry, or sarcastic, or sad, or regretful, or apologetic, or cheerful, or serious, or nostalgic, or adult, or childish, or flat, or excited? There are so many possibilities. As with ‘theme’, the ‘tone’ is sometimes obvious. With many poems however, different people may interpret the tone differently. Also some poems have a mix of tones.

‘Music’ in a poem comprises such features as: the rhythm of the words, or rather of the stresses on the syllables in the words; rhymes; any onomatopoeia – that is, the use of words having sounds that suggest their meaning; and any alliteration – that is, the grouping of words beginning with the same syllable.

‘Dramatic effects’ occur when words are used in a poem in a way designed to produce particular responses in a reader or listener. All poetry worthy of the name is intended to evoke some emotional response, but a ‘dramatic’ effect is one designed to produce shock or surprise or some sudden strong emotion. Also, anything that shows that the poem is a drama, that is, a story involving conflict, and that makes the reader or listener want to know how the story unfolds, can be called a ‘dramatic effect’. Some poems are of that kind. Many are not.

If you want to apply all this to particular poems on your syllabus, if you post the poems we might be able to point out in them examples of these things you have asked about.

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2006 03:51PM by IanB.

Posted by: lg (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2006 12:18PM

Monmon, go to the following site and look up the terms you seek: [www.poeticbyway.com] There you will find information about many poetic terms and devices.

Les

Posted by: monmon50 (192.168.128.---)
Date: December 04, 2006 05:05PM

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
thank you very much
you are really very helpful
than you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.