Homework Assistance
 Your teacher given you an impossible task? In search of divine inspiration to help you along? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Homework Assistance

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
I need help decifering a poem by Robert Frost (A Question)
Posted by: Albuca (192.168.128.---)
Date: November 27, 2006 10:11PM

Hi, the poem I need to decifer for school is called "A Question," The parts that i really need decifered are the genre of the poepm, the tone, the setting <-- I have absolutly no clue, and the meaning of the poem. Some of these things ive figured out, but some i havn't cough cough the setting cough cough, any wasy ive included the poem, thanks in advance for all the help.
-Alex

----------------------------------------------------------

A question
- Robert Lee Frost

A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth.

Re: I need help decifering a poem by Robert Frost (A Question)
Posted by: Hugh Clary (192.168.128.---)
Date: November 28, 2006 12:05PM

Ok, lots of slippery terms to decipher here. Genre, for example. What kind/type of poem is it? It is said there are only three kinds of poems: lyric, narrative and dramatic. You may choose which, from the definitions provided at the site below:

[www.poeticbyway.com] />
Still, one could hedge the bet and just call it a quatrain, in iambic tetrameter with all masculine (single-syllable) endings, rhyming abab.

Tone is always slippery, but that just means you can choose any tone you feel you can support. Also called 'voice', I have noticed. You will have heard of an angry tone, a conversational tone, etc. Perhaps here it is one of awe or mystery or wondering? Your call.

For the meaning, what do you think the 'Voice' is? Sometimes it is God, but that seems unlikely here. Could be Satan though, sure. What else? It wants you to look it 'in the stars', which smacks of looking at someone 'in the eyes', no? There are no quotation marks, but the Capital L after the first comma seems to suggest he intends the rest of the passage to be a quote.

The philosophical thrust to me is whether the pain and suffering we have to endure for the priviledge of having life is worth it, all in all. That is, is life enjoyed, or do we just suffer through it.

Depends on whether you are always the dog or consistently the fire hydrant I would think.

Posted by: lg (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2006 12:47PM

Tone, I think you hit the nail on the head with "philosophical", Hugh.

Les

Posted by: JohnnySansCulo (192.168.128.---)
Date: November 28, 2006 01:02PM

A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth.

And I said, Look me in the eyes
I tell you truly, universe
The scars that healed have made me wise
I'll tell ya this, it could be worse

Posted by: Hugh Clary (192.168.128.---)
Date: November 29, 2006 09:32AM

tone

Or cynical, or questioning (by definition). And actually, the voice itself could really be God, I am guessing.

Posted by: Albuca (192.168.128.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 10:25AM

Okay, thanks for all your help.
-Albuca

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.