Homework Assistance
 Your teacher given you an impossible task? In search of divine inspiration to help you along? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Homework Assistance

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Fatal Sisters:An Ode
Posted by: Angelina Matthews (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 27, 2002 09:03AM

I Have an english paper to write:
To write about two poems in one.
the first poem is :The Fatal Sisters:An Ode and the other:
Ode on the Death Of a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a tub
of Gold fishes.
Does anyone have any pointers as to how to go about doing this. As in how to go about making sense of the poem (the fatal sisters)? and what to look for and combine between the two?

Re: The Fatal Sisters:An Ode
Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.sdsl.cais.net)
Date: December 27, 2002 10:56AM

Date: December 27, 2002 01:33PM

Thanks, for the sites, but i was wondering wheter or not anyone knew what exactly 'the Fatal sisters' is about? i mean, sure it's about war and what have you, but it doesn't really describe much about what the sisters are doing. and who they are...
I'm looking for information concerning, what their main purpose is in the poem, and further research tells the story of twelve women sat in a cave, weaving a web over a loom. But it doesn't even metion anything remotely along the lines of this in the poem. So how's one to know what their on about...?
-clueless-

Date: December 27, 2002 01:33PM

Thanks, for the sites, but i was wondering wheter or not anyone knew what exactly 'the Fatal sisters' is about? i mean, sure it's about war and what have you, but it doesn't really describe much about what the sisters are doing. and who they are...
I'm looking for information concerning, what their main purpose is in the poem, and further research tells the story of twelve women sat in a cave, weaving a web over a loom. But it doesn't even metion anything remotely along the lines of this in the poem. So how's one to know what their on about...?
-clueless-

Posted by: Les (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 27, 2002 01:52PM

The purpose of the sisters, which I'm sure you read under the poem at the University of Toronto website, was to weave magic to protect the Earl who was soon to become the new King.

Posted by: Desi (---.clientlogic.ie)
Date: December 31, 2002 11:15AM

I don't know much about norse mythology, but they remind me very much of the the Fates, the greek godesses of fate:
[homepage.mac.com] />
Both poems are written in a very classical heroic style. It reminds me a lot of the works of Homer for example. But where in the sisters it is used seriously, in the drowning cat poem it is used very ironically.

Hope this help you on a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.