Homework Assistance
 Your teacher given you an impossible task? In search of divine inspiration to help you along? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Homework Assistance

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Posted by: TiffanyLisa (---.lib.uconn.edu)
Date: November 18, 2002 08:46PM

I'm wondering if anyone has some good insight into Barrett Browning's "The Cry of the Children". I'm trying to write a paper concerning her own childhood experience in comparison to the lives of the child laborers she writes about in this poem. If anyone knows any good links or has any interesting opinions to express...please email me. Anything is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Posted by: Tijen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 19, 2002 11:38AM

hi, this poem is about children working in general and is aimed @ factory owners and the general public. Its written at a time where children were being exploited by having to work from a very young age and this is reflected in this poem as EBB is tackling a political and social issue. This poem was first published in 1843 and contributed to changes being made in laws governing the employment of children.
she uses many rhetorical devises that r used in speeches:

- rhetorical questions

- emotive language

- repetition

- use of contrast

- irony

- direct appeal to reader

also the greek quotation at the beginning is from the greek Euripides' play, Medea and it means "woe, woe, why do you look upon me with your eyes, my children?" This quote brings to the readers mind a woman who killed her own children. I guess to significance of this would be that the parents that are sending their children to work are more or less doing the same thing.
this is all i have for now, hope this helps!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.