Homework Assistance
 Your teacher given you an impossible task? In search of divine inspiration to help you along? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> Homework Assistance

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
robert browning
Posted by: njina grant (64.110.133.---)
Date: September 17, 2002 11:25PM

could someone please explain "meeting at night" for me i have an essay to do and i haven't a clue how to start

Re: robert browning
Posted by: Hugh Clary (12.91.174.---)
Date: September 18, 2002 11:34AM

I gain the cove with pushing prow ...

'Nuff said?

Re: robert browning
Posted by: Kim (205.188.208.---)
Date: September 19, 2002 10:31PM

this poem is about love. He does not use the word love in the poem. He communicates experience, not information. First he presents us with a specific situation in which a lover goes to meet his love. Second he describes the lover's journey vividly in terms of sense of impressions so that the reader sees and hears what the lover saw and heard and seems to share his anticipation and excitment.

Everly line in the poem contains some image, the gray sea, the long black land, the yellow half-moon, the startled little waves with their fiery ringlets, the blue spurt of the lighted match. These appeal to our sense of sight and convery shape and also color and motion. The warm sea-scented beach appeals to the senses of both smell and touch. The pushing prow of the boat on the sandy slushy sand, the tap at the pane, the quick scratch of the match, the low speech of the lovers, and the sounds of their beating hearts all appeal to the sense of hearing.

I am also using this poem for an essay but I have to prove that Robert Browning uses imagery in this poem, which you can clearly see that he does, but I can't find much in print about this poem and Robert Browning's use of imagery. So, if you find anything like this in your search, let me know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.