User Submitted Poetry
 Interested in feedback about a piece you've written? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> User Submitted Poetry

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lady of the Night
Posted by: Lady of the Night (---.southk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2004 01:17AM

Lady of the Night

It all began in innocence,
Genesis, birth of the naive child
who believed all is love, and love
cures all, but after so many years
of giving the golden way, she began
to believe there is no love, and no cure.

The parents are there, but not really,
because she can't feel that she can
go to them (God only knows why). She
starts to slip into the ones who care --
or rather, lets them slip into her
(after she slips them a pill or three).

Rage spews out of the father's mouth,
tears from her mother's eyes, and the gritty
streets become home as she fights away
the only way she knows she can survive.
Big daddy's her new father; he'll take care
of her as long as she brings home the money
from putting out.

The first pill, the first hit of ecstasy, the
first shot of jack and she's got him on his back,
praying to the gods and changing his religion.
She'll take her due back home to the bridge,
thanking God for letting her live another day,
cursing the Devil for not killing her first.

It all ended in the gutter, this jaded girl
with the innocent heart that hoped. Sirens,
radios and mother's cries fill the air as reporters
tell the story of yet another modern day Sophocles
tragedy that falls upon ears of people who shake
their heads, yet sit in their recliner as if
nothing can be done.

What if she was your daughter?
What if she was you?

She is me, in my other form.
She is the Lady of the Night...

I never conquered, rarely came, sixteen just held such better days.

Re: Lady of the Night
Posted by: Jean-Paul Bonhomme (---.nt.net)
Date: January 11, 2004 12:56PM

Holy Moly!!
This is very bleak.
Is this the way you really feel?
I like the poem because it shows insight into a world that desperately needs exposure.

Lady, be a blade of grass.

Date: January 11, 2004 01:10PM

This is how I feel I would be, had I not been raised Christian, yes. Be a blade of grass...?

Lady of the Night

Posted by: lgreen (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2004 02:24PM

Lady: There but for the grace of God go I....in so many words or less...a frightening scenario......mission accomplished....Ell

Posted by: silent siren (---.ber.dial.de.colt.net)
Date: January 11, 2004 02:32PM

Hello Megan,

am extremely glad you were raised Christian...and your greeting misses an s: Moi je viens...dans les armes? in the arms?

regards

siren

Posted by: ajc (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2004 04:07PM

Lady,

A well written, tragic piece that sums up the unfortunate
life story for far to many young people.

Anthony (ajc)

Date: January 11, 2004 06:54PM

Thank you all for reading, commenting, and appreciating. Thank you also, Siren, for pointing out my spelling error. "Jehovah des armees" is "Jehovah of armies."

Lady of the Night

Date: January 11, 2004 08:15PM

A blade of grass is delicate, yet flexible.
Compared to a tree (which is a symbol of power and longevity), a blade of grass is woefully insignificant; however, when a powerful wind blows, the tree falls down, but the blade of grass bends over to let the wind pass.
I try to be a blade of grass, but dogs keep dumping on me.
smiling smiley

Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 11, 2004 09:53PM

Reminds me of how important it is to remember we have choices at every point in our lives. The easiest, or most fun choice is not always the best.

If we learn to make the right choice at every turn, life becomes better. How do we know what the right choice is? Listen to our conscience, the voice inside is usually right. If we have made a good choice, we will rest easier at night, we can feel it. If we make the wrong choice, we will continue to wrestle with our conscience. But ultimately our conscience will win, because it is the voice of God speaking through our subconscious.

Les

Date: January 12, 2004 02:43AM

Les,
The heart can be treacherous.

Date: January 12, 2004 04:21AM

The heart is ALWAYS treacherous. Jean-Paul, didn't you pay attention to the Watchtower this morning?

Lady of the Night

Posted by: Percival (---.humboldt1.com)
Date: January 12, 2004 07:36AM

The mind is treacherous. The heart is gold.

Posted by: Lady of the Night (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2004 02:30PM

The heart is the core of emotions, and emotions are relative to any stimulant, which means emotions are unstable, which means the heart is unstable, which means the heart is treacherous. Plus, the Bible says so, and that IS gold!

Lady of the Night

Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 12, 2004 02:58PM

The mind rules the heart. In a court of law someone who commits a crime of passion goes to jail, because his mind knew better.

Les

Date: January 12, 2004 03:32PM

Exactly.

Lady of the Night

Date: January 12, 2004 09:14PM

That brings to mind a principle we should all contemplate;
We are all creatures of free will.
We each have our own unique weaknesses, be they mental, physical or spiritual; however, we are still accountable for our actions and for what we know.
Granted, our creator takes our weaknesses into account and only he can accurately read our hearts (even better than ourselves); on the other hand, there is so often a clear right or wrong.
Theft is wrong.
Lying is wrong.
Adultery is wrong.
etc.
etc.
etc.
Whatever Jehovah says is wrong, is wrong.
If we knowingly break the rules, we will ultimately pay one way or another. We cannot escape "He Causes To Become"
Lady's poem is a wonderful reflection on some choices we can make.
Sometimes we need to think about what could have been in order to appreciate what is.

Date: January 12, 2004 09:44PM

Thank you for such contemplations and thoughts, Monsieur Bonhomme. The very last thing you said is the most powerful. You didn't respond to my question about the Watchtower, however.

Lady of the Night

Posted by: Percival (---.humboldt1.com)
Date: January 12, 2004 11:23PM

Lady of the Night,

I don't really get this poem much. But I do understand the other form thing. Can you explain the poem itself?

Posted by: Brucefur (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 05:58AM

I didn't read it all, it was too long. winking smiley (to quote a marvy young lady) lol

Actually it was the deja vu that got me; I could swear that you wrote another poem with a very similar name within the last year. Did you?

Love ya,

Date: January 13, 2004 09:06AM

Lady,
I thought it was a rhetorical question, but here you go:

par 2&3- David gave us that advice at Psalm 37:1 because he knew that it is very easy to be "heated up" at the success of evildoers. It isn't redundant information. Evildoers often do "get away with it" while honest, god fearing people are attacked by thorns.

The article goes on to illustrate ways to avoid falling into this trap of listening to our treacherous heart and how we can benefit by following David's advice , and his examples.

Others have commented on my posts being "moralistic", but our morals are a very powerful filter when recording a poetic work.
I believe your morals dis that with this poem. Others may not see it the same way though.

Date: January 13, 2004 04:23PM

Perci,

The poem is about a girl who was born believing in everything possible, Love fixes all, blah blah blah, and eventually turns to life on the streets, surviving through drugs and prostitution before she eventually ends up dead in the gutter (dunno how that happened, though, but how it happened isn't really the point. Overdose, rape and murder, driveby... take your pick). I've been thinking lately that had I not been raised Christian, with morals and such, that I would've ended up on drugs and alcohol, and probably very apathetic towards things like oral sex (which is illustrated in this poem), viewing it as a power thing.

Bruce,

Too long?? Pfffffffft! As far as a poem with a similar name... I don't believe so, but maybe? I don't think I've written about drug prostitution before... but it's possible. Could you give me anything else to go on?

Jean-Paul,

You've caught me at a moment in which my Watchtower is at my boyfriend's house, and I honestly can't remember exactly what the lesson was about this week, but you didn't respond to the "blade of grass" bit, which is what I was looking for. I'll (hopefully) grab my Watchtower this afternoon and be back to discuss with you. Have you any Instant Messaging systems?

Lady of the Night

Date: January 13, 2004 09:25PM

I thought I explained the "blade of grass" this in my Jan 11 post.
Basically, a puny blade of grass can survive when a tree can't because it is flexible and can adapt. I was merely trying to encourage you.
No, I don't have I M installed yet.
I will as soon as I have the time. I have many thorns. This place has been a good outlet for me lately, but it still takes up a lot of my time (dial up, you know).
Why don't you email me?

Date: January 14, 2004 05:39PM

No, the blade of grass in the Watchtower from Sunday. You email me! AngeDuWest@aol.com

Lady of the Night

Posted by: Jean-Paul (---.nt.net)
Date: January 14, 2004 11:26PM

Oh! I see what you mean.

"I "Love Summer more than I hate Winter"

Posted by: 8s_are_nice_ (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 02, 2004 08:02PM

well i suppose it was this post that started ur name lady of the night and i must say its not the easiest poem to read and deal with.. though then again I'm reading Beloved right now.. and anythings easier than that..but anyway... it's insightful and well-written.. i know about your having otherselves .. well sort of.. eh w/e.. the poems well done and strikes me as bold and revealing.. an admirable poem

Date: April 03, 2004 02:59AM

Thank you for the read and compliments. Actually, I've been around this site for.... 2 years now? Something like that. Maybe only 18 months; I'm not sure. In any case, "Lady of the Night" has been my SN since the beginning. I only just recently wrote this poem, that's all. Recently as in, what, 3 months ago? Anyhow, thank you.

What do you mean by it's hard to read? Subject matter, or lack of writing skill? Any suggestions?

I don't much care for how I ended it. If anyone has any suggestions at all, I am always open.

Lady of the Night

Posted by: K.Q. (---.nets.com.jo)
Date: April 03, 2004 03:17AM

Dear all,
After reading this thread I can't but comment on the issue of free will and logic vs. love. Free will is there within the limitations of its circumstances. It's like when you are facing the two corners of a room, and are asked how many corners you can see. Logically/literally, you can see two corners. Mentally, you can see the four, or more, corners of the room. Likewise, free will is the will to choose from options you can see at the situation and its circumstances but not the bigger picture your mental sight might or might not see. Therefore, you try to be logical as far as you can but since people vary in their ability to draw the line between there emotional vs. rational decision, what they end up selecting is a free yet bound choice to the alternatives they were exposed to !
I love the poem as it raises many veiled issues in addition to its artistry!
Beautiful , Lady!!!!

Posted by: dolphin poet (---.pars.cox-internet.com)
Date: April 03, 2004 04:53PM

Lady, I shared this with my sister last night, as this used to be her life .
She commented that it was rare that she ever read a poem in wich she felt as though it had come straight out of her very own mind. It was very surreal for her . We too were raised christian, but sometimes god has different plans for each of us. What she has experienced has however, made her who she is today. She is indeed one of the most generous, and empathetic people I know. I believe her statement was, "He took me there to learn, and brought me back to teach". At any rate, you seem to have a very good ability to see beyond the obvious. Enjoyed reading...

dolphin

Date: April 04, 2004 03:34PM

K.Q. -

How true, how true. I love the way you were able to explain it, too. You explained it in a very logical way, and it is so true. Thank you.

Dolphin -

I'm flattered that she felt she could relate to it as well as she could. Especially being that I have never actually been there - only in thought. I know how my thoughts were/are, and I know that had I not followed the Bible, that I would've listened to those thoughts, those dark desires and depressions, and I really feel that I would've ended up that way. Thank Jehovah for his loving mercy, understanding, and endless patience!

Lady of the Night

Posted by: K.Q. (---.nets.com.jo)
Date: April 05, 2004 07:03AM

You're most welcome. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to express this as it was a minor issue in another thread but the occasion wouldn't allow for me to elaborate on it. Thanks again for the opportunity!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.