User Submitted Poetry
 Interested in feedback about a piece you've written? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> User Submitted Poetry

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The golden road
Posted by: Lizzy (---.okld03.pacbell.net)
Date: August 17, 2002 03:59AM

I wrote this a while ago, but just found it now, tell me what you think!
Lady Lizz

The Road

The road lies ahead,
Bathed in a golden light
Switching
From one ending
To another
Flitting, flickering.
Who knows on which flower
Tomorrow will alight.

Behind stretch footprints
Engraved in the dust
On one road
Still as stone
Grey
Stumbling, falling
Arising to continue
Towards now.

And I stand
Feet shaken of yesterday
Head up-eyes forward
Gazing towards
The garden.

Re: The golden road
Posted by: bobo (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2002 03:44PM

I like this one alot. I immediately got two images from it, one that makes sense and one that doesn't. I am reminded of the last time my car broke down in a VERY dusty country-type locattion (I'm a southern city girl, mind) and I had to walk to a phone to call for AAA motorclub to come and fix a tire. I made the unmannerly comment to the fellow changing the tire that I always seem to break down in the middle of nowhere... he took offence and asked if I really thought GIBSONTON (all caps) was the middle of nowhere?? Well, I looked around and saw railroad tracks and a fertilizer company and said, "it's as close to nowhere as I care to be." I don't think he liked me much after that...

I'm not a camper-- it's just too hot for that around here.

But the second image was more sensible: The feeling as I approach home and come from the blistering heat of a major road into a neighborhood street with tree coverage. If you've never spent time in Florida, it's hard to describe the breathing atmosphere (I really think most Floridians are developing gills). But the heaviness of the air in the summer is almost a physical weight. then the trees, and the moisture takes on a different texture altogether: you can breathe the scent of oranges--every plant seems to be exhaling as you walk along...

I don't know where you live, Lizzy, but I like it!

bobo

Posted by: Brucefur (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: August 17, 2002 04:57PM

I am afraid lizzy that I had some trouble following this one. Is it about a trip, a road or some weird sort of bumble bee? Please inform!

Brucefur

Date: August 17, 2002 05:14PM

Ok, bobo, that's very interesting, because i was talking about a figurative road. The path of fate. It's always interesting to see what people get out of my poems, thank you.

Brucefur:
It's a metaphor. It's how I see the past and future, the future is always jumping around from one thing to another, and the past is engraved. It only happened one way, and you can't change it. And then there's me, in the middle, done with the past, ready for the future! Hope that clears it up!
Lizz

Posted by: Brucefur (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: August 17, 2002 05:24PM

Hmm..the part that I am finding confusing though Liz is the switch between the Road to the flower. How do the two relate, even as a metaphor?

Date: August 17, 2002 05:31PM

Like I said, I wrote it awhile ago, so I'm sitting here trying to reconstruct my thought process. I think I was sort of using the bee as a metaphor for the way the future is so uncertain, switching and changing direction from moment to moment. I remember now that I'm thinking about it, I think I wrote this a the beginning of ninth grade, and Dad had a new girlfriend, stuff was changing at a rapid rate. So I was feeling the uncertanty (sp?) of the future rather keenly at that point. Any more questions? I'm liking this whole picking apart ancient (haha) thought processes. I really am.
Lizz

Posted by: Jex (---.okld03.pacbell.net)
Date: August 17, 2002 10:09PM

hmm, good, but deffinately an older one. i didn't realize i could tell the difference between the old ones and the new ones. anyhoo, it makes me think of that song that made us think of coley...member that one? can't remember how it goes, but that's what it makes me think of.

~J

Date: August 17, 2002 11:53PM

"Everyone could see the road that they walk on is paved in gold, its always summer they'll never get cold, never get lonely, never get old and grey..."
Lizz

Posted by: Jex (---.okld03.pacbell.net)
Date: August 18, 2002 12:23AM

you read my mind girl.

~J

Date: August 18, 2002 12:28AM

I have a habit of doing that, do you remember Y we are reminded of her? I do.
Lizz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.