User Submitted Poetry
 Interested in feedback about a piece you've written? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> User Submitted Poetry

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
"Number Nine"
Posted by: Lady of the Night (---.megalink.net)
Date: July 04, 2002 02:15AM

Will somebody please tell me just what is
going on? You've turned my world upside down
and now I don't know which end is up; I don't
know where to turn, I don't know what to do.
I was once secure, set for life, I had all
that I'd ever dreamed of, and I wanted for
nothing at all. But then you came along and
confused everything, stirring up dust and now
I have no idea where it all belongs, where
it's supposed to fit in...In fact I am so
confused and disoriented that I cannot even
write this piece, and so I will give in to
defeat and close it now, with questions
unanswered and souls unfulfilled...

Re: "Number Nine"
Posted by: Brucefur (---.bc.hsia.telus.net)
Date: July 06, 2002 07:22PM

Well then, seeing as how no one else is saying it, I guess that it falls to me.

Lady, this is not up to your potential, and we both know that you are much more capable than this.

Your previous eight were shining examples of talent, and Intellectual Intercourse was sheer genius.

I do feel priviledged to be party to your every thought, but I do know that you are both more complex, and your thinking more profound than this.

Shoot for the stars dear; and yes, it's okay if you occasionally miss...ahem...like this one. :-P

Love, Brucefur

Date: July 06, 2002 07:44PM

Lol, thank you!!!

I was getting ready to post on here and just say "Umm, you guys, if you think it sucks just tell me." Cause I KNOW several people have read it. I wasn't trying to write a good piece when I wrote this. I have said several times that this forum is like a journal to me, and I was trying to make sense of my jumbled thoughts. Obviously it didn't work, lol. But, it's nice to know what ppl think about the lovely mess of my mind. smiling smiley

- Lady of the Night

Posted by: silent siren (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: July 07, 2002 12:46AM

Hey, Milady!
Although the style reminded me indeed for a second of Nolon in breaking verses, I really loved the theme, the chain of thoughts. Could you please mould and work on it, has fine potential and I know you can make something out of it.

your
silent siren

Posted by: Nolon (---.vp.centurytel.net)
Date: July 07, 2002 03:56AM

I do say sounds like you just wrote what was on your mind i seriously got lost in it but i liked it

"To write something, you have to risk making a fool of yourself." Anne Rice

Posted by: Stephen Fryer (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 07, 2002 09:31AM

Course, if you will use stream of consciousness layout, what do you expect ? James Joyce we none of us are.
Try maybe:

Will somebody please tell me
just what is going on?
You've turned my world upside down and now
I don't know which end is up;

I don't know where to turn,
I don't know what to do.
I was once secure, set for life,
I had all that I'd ever dreamed of,
and I wanted for nothing at all.

But then you came along and confused everything,
stirring up dust and now I have no idea
where it all belongs, where it's supposed to fit in...
In fact I am so confused and disoriented
that I cannot even write this piece,
and so I will give in to defeat

and close it now, with questions
unanswered and souls unfulfilled...

Still needs work, though ...

Stephen

Posted by: Lady of the Night (66.231.192.---)
Date: July 07, 2002 01:44PM

Siren - Thanks for your thoughts smiling smiley I think I will work on it, I hate to leave something unfinished or "imperfect" and this is definitely unfinished and imperfect in my mind. Thanks smiling smiley

Nolon - Lol, you got seriously lost? I was soooo lost when I was writing. As I told Brucefur, I was just trying to lay my thoughts out, hoping they'd make sense if I did. Obviously not, lol.

Wow Stephen, I like that layout...I really do! It looks like something I'd do...I'll give it a lot of consideration. Thanks bunches! smiling smiley

Thank you all.

A lil confused, but still sane,
- Lady of the Night

Posted by: lgreen (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: July 07, 2002 01:53PM

Lady: That is exactly how all of my poems start. A jumble of thought. I imagine poets just sitting down and writing their words in fluent "poetry" all in the right order. Will never happen to me...something to strive for. If someone could read my notebook I carry around--they would think I was more than just a little confused. Stephen put your words in wonderful order--but that was his plan---you were just journaling--I am sure you will finish your thoughts and have a wonderful piece on your hands. I love your confused state of mind....lgreen

Posted by: Stephen Fryer (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 07, 2002 02:52PM

Hey, lgreen your notebook is my notebook. A burger, but not yet made up, let alone cooked. Just now, it's beef and breadcrumbs and raw egg. Thus:

ARTHUR What is an Algolian Zylatburger anyway?
FORD They're a kind of meatburger made from the most unpleasant parts
of a creature well known for its total lack of any pleasant
parts.
ARTHUR So you mean that the Universe does actually end not with a bang
but with a Wimpy?

Douglas Adams of course - my man.

Stephen

Posted by: silent siren (---.ber.dial.de.colt.net)
Date: July 07, 2002 04:06PM

Do I have to repeat that you're cool, Stephen?
You really have a logical mind.
Wanted to laugh out loud (albert m's explanation for lol) but the house is asleep. 23:01, oops...
siren

Posted by: Thom (---.188.232.93.euc.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 14, 2002 04:41AM

Lady- Unfortnately I must agree partially with Bruce, it is not up to par with Intellectual Intercourse. However, I wouldn't say that you missed necessarily, just that it is a work in progress. Stephen has a good point, the structure seems to be were some of the confusion lays. The structure reminds me of something that I might have written, I am sorry to say that is not a compliment. smiling smiley

For what it is worth, this is what I take away from it. You've met someone that leaves you feeling conflicted. That the only thing you can take from them is more questions, questions that you don't have answers for. In turn you are left more conflicted. Leaving you to wonder if you had it wrong all along. All that you thought solid seems to be questionable, and you have nothing left to hold on to.

Then again those are just my thoughts. Since some seemed to be confused as to the meaning I thought I might offer up my take. If I am even close I think you might be able to take comfort in this:
Questions often lead to conflict, conflict often leads to confusion, yet it is in confusion that answers are apt to be found.

Yet, without taking up your whole day I will leave you with this, I enjoyed your piece. I didn't think it was confusing, merely vague. Yet, I took comfort in its vagueness. Keep working, I see potential here.
-T.K.

Posted by: Lady of the Night (---.unet.maine.edu)
Date: July 19, 2002 11:14AM

Thom -

I could cry for all the stuff I have to do online today! I now only have Net access once a week, and on that one day, I have to reply to a zillion emails, work on this forum, as well as post for several characters on Worlde Arcane (Brucefur knows what I'm talking about). But, I wanted to take a few moments and thank you for your time.

Your interpretation was pretty much right on the button! I prayed to meet a man that I couldn't read or understand, one who challenged who I am..and you bet I got him! He breaks alllll The Rules (--Love you, Quiet Dreamer! Lol), and has pretty much turned my entire life upside down and shaken it a good one winking smiley But, I suppose I'm thankful for such a shaking..in a way! Well, I'm grateful to know him. But I tell you what, Quiet Dreamer, you don't stop that shaking I'm gonna knock you a good one! J/k. ahem I'll be serious now.

I do agree, that this piece just wasn't up to par with the rest of my work, although I disagree about the "goodness" of my other work. Bruce and I argue about that quite often, as do myself and the rest of my friends (almost said peers, but we all know Bruce is too old for that sticks tongue out Sassy smirk) Wait, I'm gonna be serious. tick...tick...tick... Ahh, it ain't workin. My spirits have been lifted since visiting this site, and I thank you for that, as well as my own thoughts of Quiet Dreamer, Rick Winter, Brucefur, Silent Siren, Jazzy...and you all know who I'm talking about smiling smiley So, I thank you all!

And now I'm shutting up. Thom...many appreciations for your time, and you had the meaning pretty much right on the button. I'm eager to continue searching on this forum, so I will close now. Thank you again!

Tired but Happy smiling smiley

- La Femme du Soir

Date: July 19, 2002 04:17PM

Now this is better poetry then the one above!

I prayed to meet a man
that I couldn't read or understand,
one who challenged who I am...
and you bet I got him!

Sticks tongue out; grinning insanely

Love,
Brucefur

PS: Nutmeg, if you can, I would like to see you complete this one; flesh it out as it were. Hurry or Stephen will beat you to it! ;-)

Date: July 19, 2002 11:53PM

Brucefur -

Gee thanks! Your little work of art certainly put Number Nine back in its place. smirk

As far as fleshing it out....I'm afraid my well is dry! I got nothin...hopefully soon I'll have myself another writing spell.

Gots to go now, I'm feeling a bit odd, a lil antsy...ciao!

Lady of the Night

Date: July 20, 2002 08:50PM

:-P

Silly goose, that's not my work of art, those are your words. I only rearranged them.

Love,
Ze Count Brucefur

Posted by: Quiet Dreamer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2002 01:29AM

Breaking down walls and breaking rules is fun winking smiley tongue sticking out smiley

Love ya, Lady of the Night!

Love,
Me

Posted by: Lady of the Night (---.unet.maine.edu)
Date: July 26, 2002 01:54PM

Bruce....nevermind. Lol. You put them in another way, and said it was better than the original....so thanks!!

And as for you, Quiet Dreamer....LOL. Yeah, fun for you!! Nah, I think it's good for me smiling smiley Thank you, hon. Love you smiling smiley

As Always,
Lil ol me

Posted by: silent siren (---.ber.dial.de.colt.net)
Date: July 28, 2002 10:56AM

SIREN (to the audience): Ach, I love this community...
siren

Date: July 30, 2002 02:51PM

And they love you too! SMACK!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.