User Submitted Poetry
 Interested in feedback about a piece you've written? 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> User Submitted Poetry

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
a knot of facial expressions
Posted by: K.Q. (---.hs.14.118.212.in-addr.arpa)
Date: August 19, 2004 05:54AM

Ok.Here it goes. I've decided to work on this and improve it to the best of my abilities(almost) and give it a new post. I like what happened when I did this! Hope you do too!!

knowing less is better

me tying knots
to pass times
nothingness illusioned
regret carves unseen lines
forming life
seeping through
fashionable then are moments
luxuriously spent
untrue
coil life of pleasures
fascination of full glasses
into bliss
painful reaping nerves
knots untied in joy

better is less knowing

joy in untied knots
nerves reaping painful bliss
into glasses full of fascination
pleasures of life coil
untrue
spent luxuriously
moments are then fashionable
lines unseen
carve regret
illusioned nothingness
times pass
to knots
tying me

Re: a knot of facial expressions
Posted by: lg (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 19, 2004 09:37AM

K. Q. I really like the second poem. I have no way of evaluating the effort other than looking at each poem on its own. The message of the second poem comes through clearer to me.

Les

Posted by: Gwydion (209.53.139.---)
Date: August 19, 2004 09:46AM

Kickin'!!

KQ, In the first poem I like this line: regret carves unseen lines

It jumped out at me as bold as day. I'm a people watcher, I look at people's faces, their eyes, and try to determine just how kind or unkind the world has been to them...I see a lot of sad regretful lines on faces, I can only imagine how deep the lines go for the ones that can't be seen.

But over all I like the second poem best, it flows real smoooooooth! smiling smiley

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Posted by: Gwydion (209.53.139.---)
Date: August 19, 2004 09:56AM

Um, I think I've mentioned this before...Your "Facial Expressions" series is unique and I like the work you do. I would like to see a collage of all your Facial Expressions on one thread.

I mean, continue to post any new Expressions on a thread of it's own but start building a collage to add the Expressions too...that way when I need to read one of your poems all of the Expressions are there for me (and others) to wander through. Just a thought. Thank you.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Posted by: personifyed (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2004 01:39PM

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing else i can say smiling smiley
I told you about the series of facial expressions too
It is a very good idea for a book entitled "Facial Expressions" by the one and only K.Q

As I brainstorm the words pour in the form of rain Thoughts give birth to ideas without a name. (Personifyed)

Posted by: K.Q. (---.118.31.34.ua.batelco.jo)
Date: August 21, 2004 01:44AM

Thanks all! It is funny how you caught the process I really went through in editting. I worked on the second first and then adjusted the first to pour into the second. I too like it better. Thanks Les, Gwyn, Nic. I truly appreciate your comments!

Posted by: camus (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 21, 2004 12:14PM

I don't often comment on your poems , mainly because I'm not sure where I stand with them, they prove very elusive to me, so instead of tangling my web I keep stum , but "better is less knowing" is a great poem, seems more accessible to my meagre mind, whilst still retaing that elusive other worldy quaility you possess.

Nice.

Doubt everything. Find your own light.

Posted by: K.Q. (194.165.154.---)
Date: August 22, 2004 01:52AM

Thank you Kris. When I do respond to other people's poems it is because I really like them or have something to say. I do not wait for them to respond to my poems in return. Everybody has a different taste. I appreciate your honesty . Well, ellusive is probably true . Even my mom takes 5 or 6 time in reading my poems before she can say anything. I write out of an urge to spill out what I feel. I love people reading and responding, but I don't do it for that!! Thanks for reading. At least now I know you do read even if you don't comment and I appreciate that!
smiling smiley

Posted by: Toi23 (---.range81-153.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 22, 2004 04:18AM

knowing less is better / better is less knowing

I hope asking for an explanation for poems has not offended anyone. All I know for certain on the subject is what I was taught at University and what I have gained through talking to friends who work as carers and teachers:

*It is helpful to the individual and is more professional to be able to explain creative work and the progression of ideas discursively.

*NEVER admit to poets that you don't know something because they will "have" you for it. (haha!)

*You should not assume and should always respect people's rights as individual's. Listening is very important, never assume that you know exactly how the person is feeling as this is impossible to ascertain without having first "listened".

Personally, I found it very difficult to express my ideas discursively at university. I feel that I need to be encouraged to explain my ideas more.
This is difficult to do in poetry as few people admit when they don't understand something. When poetry is published or read a little is usually given on the poet and where his ideas have come from. I think that this is even more important with regards to internet poetry because it is impossible to know the background of the poet concerned which makes reading and critique extremely difficult. From what I have observed during my time at Emule is that faith and technical knowledge seem to play a large
part in this analysis of the individual, I just think that it is important for the individual to be able to talk about their lives and how they feel that relates to their work themselves. It is also important to define the motivation of a poem, whether it has been written for therapeutic or professional reasons because this shows a responsibility towards to reader. My views on this subject are averagely conformist and I am surpised by the "fuss" they appear to have produced.

I really admire the work that you produce K.Q and appreciate you critiques.

Toi23

Date: August 22, 2004 04:37AM

Thank you very much Toi. I appreciate your lengthy response and the content. Knowing more a bout the poet can be an advantage sometimes, but great works of art stand on their own in my opinion and are able to form meaning to a reader who can identify with them whether positively or negatively. Knowing more about the circumstances the poem was written by is helpful in adding more of the poet's meaning but not necessarily the reader. I am a fan of the school of criticism that believe works of literature on a shelf void from being read are dead. To add they have potential to live , but only when they are discovered : read!
I really do appreciate your opinion in my work. And I also appreciate any honest opinion, whether it be negative or positive! Honesty is a value that I do value !!! It counts most in the end!

smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2004 05:37AM

Thank you for your response.

"I am a fan of the school of criticism that believe works of literature on a shelf void from being read are dead. To add they have potential to live , but only when they are discovered : read! "

I haven't had the opportunity to "hear" poetry described in this way before and can see where you are coming from. Although, I have seen "red or dead" printed on a Tshirt. I will take the time to consider what you have said and maybe read around a little before coming to a conclusion.

Honestly, I don't mind too much whether a poem is fully explained to me I just feel that it is audacious of me to assume that I know. I'll try to get over it.

Toi23

Date: August 22, 2004 10:40AM

KQ,

I'll carry on reading your poems and commenting on ones that strike a chord.

Regarding Killing an Arab:

They are actually song lyrics and the group are The Cure.

Basically its a song inspired by a book, The Stranger, where the main character kills someone who happens to be an Arab.

Being an Arab yourself I can see you may read this dubiously, lol.

Date: August 22, 2004 10:49AM

Toi,
I appreciate your comment very much but what I was reffering to is Reader-Response Criticism, and that is a western literary criticism theory. Has nothing to do with where I come from. smiling smiley

Kris,
Thanks a lot for clarifying; at the begining I was kind of struck, but then I can understand stereotyping and know what a stereotype Arab image is like and also understand why. I just always hope I model behavior that defies it in a way and gives a truer picture?!smiling smiley Thanks you also for making the effort to go through my poems. I am really flattered that you would do so!

Date: August 22, 2004 02:25PM

K.Q

I think you are misunderstanding me,
Reader-Response Criticism, as far as I am aware you have merely given your
explanation a name this does not automatically make my words "Western Literary Criticism Theory" Please don't stereotype my viewpoint as I have not given you enough information for such a generalisation to be justified.

"Red or dead", sorry perhaps I should explain, "Red or dead” is a fashion label and not western literary criticism.

You have more experience than me in poetry, I hope you do not consider my opinions to be arrogant.

Toi23

Date: August 22, 2004 04:35PM

Regarding Killing an Arab:

Crap song, maybe not racist but certainly provocative. Many people considered Robert Smith to be a prophet, he wasn't, he was an idiot.

Hooray for freedom of speech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toi23

Date: August 22, 2004 04:39PM

I thought the song represented the book brilliantly, I've never thought Robert Smith a prophet though! I just like the song.

It had nothing to do with Racism, read the book then comment..........

Post Edited (08-22-04 17:50)

Date: August 22, 2004 04:41PM

and not provocative either.........unless you're a bit thick and take it literally.

Post Edited (08-22-04 18:01)

Date: August 22, 2004 06:18PM

Kris smiling smiley

I am sure that I would like the book and I will give it a read, thanks.

"When you love someone you see yourself reflected in their eyes"
..is generally considered to be inflammatory when used in relation to Middle Eastern Conflict, not the smartest song ever written but no big deal.

It's ok to like Robert Smith and there will always be stupid people.

Sorry, best I can do.

Toi23

Date: August 22, 2004 06:22PM

Just written at the wrong time thats all, I agree not the best song they wrote, but again in relation to the book, quite brilliant.

And if you listen to some of the up and coming bands at the moment, such as the rapture, you can't deny the Cure's influence, I'm fighting their side and I'm not even that big a fan to be honest............oh well..........lets start on the Smiths

Date: August 22, 2004 06:36PM

sorry KQ got carried away on this here thread, we'll take it outside.......

Posted by: K.Q. (---.118.31.34.ua.batelco.jo)
Date: August 23, 2004 12:52AM

Truce, guys!!

Toi, I meant the theory is Western , not your words. It's a development of theories in literary criticism. Not the ultimate truth but interesting regarding reading literature and the interaction between work and reader.

Camus, I am curious to read the book! I will find it and do so soon. As for the song, as I said it struck me a t the beginning but when I read again I found that it is ok. Not a song I would listen to but , I can understand!! Perhaps reading the book will put it in context!

smiling smiley

Posted by: Toi23 (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 23, 2004 04:16PM

Bump

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.