General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Neo-Classic Era Poems
Posted by: Desparate (---.tmns.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2004 07:11AM

Does anyone know of a good poem from the Neo-Classical Era, otherwise known as the age of reason and enlightenment , or if not, a poem that is "conformist" or opposite to the type of poetry that came from the romantic era
tahnks

Re: Neo-Classic Era Poems
Posted by: RJAllen (---.creation-net.co.uk)
Date: February 04, 2004 11:25AM

Do you mean Classical? If so, read Swift's The Battle of the Books. Pope and Dryden are excellent classical poets.

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-04rh16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 04, 2004 11:35AM

So, 1660-1788?

[www.emule.com] />
[eir.library.utoronto.ca] />
Conformist doesn't usually mean opposite, so I am confused about that question.

Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: February 04, 2004 12:10PM

"The term Neoclassical is sometimes applied to the ... late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries (and sometimes, more controversially, even to the entire eighteenth century) the period sometimes called Neoclassical. The most important English writers of the period are Dryden, Swift, Pope, and Defoe."--Guide to Literary Terms, by Jack Lynch

I've been looking for the term CONFORMIST in the context of poetry and finding nothing (yet) except casual use of the term when talking about 20th century counter-culture and such.

I did find a description of Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822) as "a Romantic NON-CONFORMIST with a disdain for the conventional social mores of his times." (The term was in quotes, not caps, but it didn't say who or what was being quoted from.)

Elsewhere in stuff about the 19th-century I'm seeing NON-CONFORMIST used to refer to certain churches and school. Those were NOT progressive institutions mind you -- they were Puritan ones! So that's obviously NOT the same as the use of the term to describe Shelley!

So, Desparate, can you give us anything more to go on?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.