General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Is it real?
Posted by: Cheri (---.getnet.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 11:47AM

I was given a poem by someone who claimed to have written it. It seems very unlikely to me that this is the case since it took only 40 minutes to write it, yet they claimed to have to scratch out and rewrite sections several times. I guess I'm hoping someone here might have heard the words or be familiar with the poem. If you can help me or know of another way that I might find out, I would greatly appreciate it. Here's a small excerpt:

I've waited all my life,
to meet someone like you
So please excuse my ignorance
If I don't know what to do.

(not in any order)

I want to make things right now,
So the healing can begin
And keep our friendship strong
Ever growing from within

Thanks for the help!

Re: Is it real?
Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 13, 2004 12:28PM

Cheri, there are many ways a person can find help in writing a poem. My guess is that the person in question wrote it. It doesn't appear to me to be professional quality, it's certainly not from a "classic" poem of any sort. They could have gotten it from a greeting card, or off the internet chat room. Even off a site like this one.

But why are you interested in finding the source? Is this person a relative, lover, student? If the sentiment is sincere, why question the source?

Les

Posted by: Cheri (---.getnet.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 12:42PM

The sentiment is what's in question I'm afraid. I'm not usually a skeptical person, but the history here warrants investigation. Thank you though for your help. I never thought it was classic or famous or anything, more of the greeting card variety that you suggest. I guess I'll never know the truth, but I can follow my instinct.

Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 13, 2004 01:35PM

If there's not trust from both sides, the relationship is doomed anyway. Go find a fisherman and leave the poet. Unless of course he's both a fisherman and a poet. winking smiley

Les

Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 02:53PM

Ditto from me.

YES, I have "heard the words" -- most of them, in various songs and on various cards. But not in this order. So if I had to guess, I would say this is an original poem by an unoriginal person.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.