General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Paranoia
Posted by: Jean-Paul Bonhomme (---.nt.net)
Date: January 12, 2004 09:25PM

Why do so many newcomers worry about copyright theft?
There no more risk of that happening here than if you quoted your poem in public..
Publishing your work doesn't even guarantee ultimate protection.
The idea of these forums is to share our creations and get feedback.
We have our own stuff, most of us frequenting this site are diligent in not commiting plagiarism.
?????
?????

Re: Paranoia
Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 03:05PM

"Why do so many newcomers worry about copyright theft?"

I suspect it's precisely BECAUSE they are newcomers and they simply DON'T KNOW what the rules are.

Bear in mind, some of them are asking because they don't want to offend anyone by breaking the rules, NOT because they are afraid of being stolen FROM.

Also, the first time(s) you share your own poetry with strangers can be scarey. Fear of plagiarism could easily be a manifestation of a deeper fear of rejection.

So ... I'd say it's half ignorance (just asking for info) and half fear (asking for reassurance). I've always assumed they figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 13, 2004 03:19PM

Marian, you may be too kind to those who demand copyright privileges.

It may be they're asking because they feel that their poetry is "so" good that it deserves this right.

Secondly, they may demand it because many websites offer this service at "no charge" to contributors.

Or, they might request it because they, or others they know have "borrowed" work from someone in the past.

How about it? Herema, Salma, Seshendra anyone else wish to explain why copyright is so important?

Les

Posted by: Jean-Paul Bonhomme (---.nt.net)
Date: January 13, 2004 09:16PM

Again, I maintain that there is a difference between copyright and enforcing that copyright.
Copyright is established as soon as a poem is recorded, in any form; however, it is generally agreed (as far as I know) that there is a standard level of copyright "protection" a writer should seek in order to legally establish ownership of copyright.
Obviously, distributing 500 copies of a volume of poetry publicly demonstrates a claim of ownership more so than composing work online and keeping a copy in your wallet.
There are many occasions when legitimate owners of copyright resort to litigation in order to assert their rights, but all it takes (if you are worried about it) is to send yourself a registered letter containing your work and leaving it sealed inuntil proof of ownership is required.
All this said, for someone to say that their poem is copyrighted and "don't get any ideas" can be interpreted as rude and inflammatory.
Perhaps I am being too blunt and the postings I refer to are not intended to be rude. Maybe the writers have been cheated already. Who knows?
If one is that worried about copyright, he/ she should take the cost-effective steps I outlined above BEFORE posting here or anywhere.
I hope I didn't offend anyone.
If I did, I apologize.

Posted by: Pam Adams (---.bus.csupomona.edu)
Date: January 13, 2004 09:33PM

I vote with Marian-NYC- the issue is with people who are new to our community. They will either relax and fit in, or leave.

I don't see the 'copyright 200x' that people write on their poems as being an issue, if nothing else, it allows people to date their work. I may think it's silly and/or annoying, but many things are silly or annoying to me. (Did I mention the signature files?)

Jean-Paul, the risks are somewhat higher than 'if you quoted your poem in public.' Anyone can copy and paste- that's how much of the stuff gets here anyhow. It would be more difficult, although not impossible, for someone to tape-record and copy down your work.

The real question is what is the possible risk? Poetry is not exactly a booming market, with publishers on every corner waving checks. (Pity) Other than someone ripping us off for class assignments or trying to convince someone that they were 'born under a rhyming planet,' I don't think that there's much to lose. Again, the newbies will figure this out, or not.

pam

Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: January 14, 2004 11:54AM

Jean-Paul is absolutely right that there is "a difference between copyright and enforcing that copyright."

In a speech to a writers-and-editors group, I once said, "In a sense, copyright DOES NOT EXIST until one person sues another person for violating it."

But that is totally separate from the issue of why beginners ask questions about it. Perhaps Les is right, they think they are Shakespeares. I certainly thought that MY junior-high poems were brilliant. (Some of it them were.)

So why NOT be "kind" to them--as long as the ask politely?

They do not know -- and they are entitled to be told:

You own copyright in anything you write, just by writing it. If somebody plagiarizes and you want to sue them, you have to PROVE that you wrote it first. One way to prepare for that is to register the copyright on your poetry--but at this (early) point in your career, that's probably a waste of your time and money. The benefits of sharing your work with an on-line community of poetry enthusiasts FAR OUTWEIGHT the tiny risk that somebody somewhere will print it without your permission. Poetry lovers are mostly honorable people and there is seldom any real money involved, so we urge you to share your own work freely with others, and to set a good example by getting permission (if possible) and giving credit (always!) when you share someone else's work.

I think that's a good answer, REGARDLESS of the motive the person has for asking.

MARIAN

Posted by: Jean-Paul (---.nt.net)
Date: January 14, 2004 11:17PM

I may have, as I usually do, made a mountain out of a molehill.
Whether it was necessary, I do not know for sure.
I do not want to discourage newcomers from asking about copyright.
I should have read into it better.
Some recent ones were aprehensive. One in particular, Harema, was openly worrying about it, but she was very polite about it in her posting. Others were seemingly rude, but they may not have realized it.
I shouldn't be so critical of them. When I first posted not so long ago, the thought crossed my mind, but I got more joy from sharing my work with my peers (I do consider you my peers, regardless of our differing stations in life) than I would have by hoarding my thoughts.
To sum it up to newcomers, Poetry is a language and I have my OWN voice. I want to see your poetry because I want to hear YOUR voice.
Please do not worry about it.

"I "Love Summer more than I hate Winter"

Posted by: Jean-Paul (---.nt.net)
Date: January 14, 2004 11:18PM

I may have, as I usually do, made a mountain out of a molehill.
Whether it was necessary, I do not know for sure.
I do not want to discourage newcomers from asking about copyright.
I should have read into it better.
Some recent ones were aprehensive. One in particular, Harema, was openly worrying about it, but she was very polite about it in her posting. Others were seemingly rude, but they may not have realized it.
I shouldn't be so critical of them. When I first posted not so long ago, the thought crossed my mind, but I got more joy from sharing my work with my peers (I do consider you my peers, regardless of our differing stations in life) than I would have by hoarding my thoughts.
To sum it up to newcomers, Poetry is a language and I have my OWN voice. I want to see your poetry because I want to hear YOUR voice.
Please do not worry about it.

"I "Love Summer more than I hate Winter"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.