General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Out in the Fields with God
Posted by: miranda (---.unityhill.com)
Date: December 13, 2003 09:50PM

I believe on this website Out in the Fields with God is listed as having an annonymous author, but it's author isn't annonymous, it is Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Re: Out in the Fields with God
Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2003 11:46PM

Miranda, thanks for the information, but that poem is not listed on this website at all.

Les

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-02rh15-16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 14, 2003 10:46AM

Posted by: Henry (213.78.126.---)
Date: December 14, 2003 11:21AM

Yes, most sites attribute it to Elizabeth Barrett Browning. This one shares it with Louise Imogen Guiney

"The foolish fears of what might happen.
I cast them all away
Among the clover-scented grass,
Among the new-mown hay,
Among the husking of the corn,
Where drowsy poppies nod
Where ill thoughts die and good are bornó
Out in the fields with God."

Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861), British poet, and Louise Imogen Guiney, British poet. Out in the Fields with God (attributed to Browning and to Guiney). . . World's Great Religious Poetry, The. Caroline Miles Hill, ed. (1954) The Macmillan Company.

[www.poemhunter.com]

Posted by: Tigermonkey (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 14, 2003 07:12PM

Having looked into this in some detail in the past, I can say that it is not by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
Although I have found several attributions to Louise Imogen Guiney, I haven't been able to corroborate this in print - it doesn't seem to appear in any collections of work etc,
It would appear to be a toss-up between L.I.Gurney and Anon - unless anyone has proof to the contrary...

PS Guiney was actually American, born in Massachusetts.

Posted by: Walter (203.10.59.---)
Date: December 17, 2003 09:07PM

A desperate thought (hope) :
Are we over putting Jesus in with all the Religion and Religiousness that he , if you read the Bible carefully , opposed , (Screaming and with whips).
Does my faith in Christ have to fit into the entirelly tedious A.O.G. culture book (yes they have one ) or the Catholic litergy , Can i not run out in the fields with God without being treating like a 'Religious' fanatic.
Had my Faith cost me in stimulating trials of 'magic' and healing rather than this morbid coping with mediocrity crap i would be a much larger man , but i grow bitter waiting while the waste and the wasting piles up .

Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 18, 2003 02:51PM

Good questions, Walter. But if you ask POETRY PEOPLE questions about religion, you're likely to get answers with rhyme but not necessarily reason.

Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 18, 2003 03:06PM

Marian I disagree. I think the poets of any given age reflect the gamut of political and philosophical points of view. For example, Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost reflect a totally different viewpoint from Oscar Wilde, or Dylan Thomas. Poets may represent the mainstream of their day, such as Anne Bradsteet, or they may be somewhat more revolutionary, such as Alan Ginsburg. But to put one head, on the many faces of the poet would be I think an injustice.

Les

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.