General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Palm Pilots.
Posted by: Rudy (198.31.57.---)
Date: November 14, 2003 08:07PM

Just a quick poll. Who out there has a palm pilot / handspring (or anything that uses
PalmOS)?

Re: Palm Pilots.
Posted by: Talia (216.117.99.---)
Date: November 17, 2003 05:56PM

I don't use a palm pilot, but here at Heartland Dairy Equipment all 4 of our salsesmen take them to the farms to bill their sales. They don't work as well as the laptops, but a whole lot cheaper!

Posted by: Rudy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2003 12:30AM

Okay, so one has them, but I have one, so I decided to put up the script anyway:

[www.emule.com] />

Select poems.. Scroll down and click make_ztxt and you get an ebook that you can read
on your palm pilot using the
weasel reader

Each poem is bookmakred and everything.

Rudy

Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 19, 2003 10:55PM

Rudy, I'd rather be able to write a poem and center it. Rather than align left.

Les

Posted by: Rudy (198.31.57.---)
Date: November 20, 2003 03:19PM

Les, you lost me.

Date: November 20, 2003 03:42PM

Rudy, those of us who post poems on the USP would like to be able to write poems that are not aligned at the left margin. We would also like to be able to use the basic and tags, much more than we would like to know about palm pilots.

Any other writers out there who would like to confirm or deny this supposition?

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-03rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 06:29PM

Last time I checked on the idiosyncracies of emule formatting, I was told it was in accordance with W3C xhtml standards (if I remember correctly). Les is saying that we humble users can't figure out why:

1. Sometimes the < > trick works for making a clickable link, sometimes not.
2. Why indenting doesn't work, except to use & n b s p coding.
3. Why we cannot make italics, bolding and underlining with xhtml tags.

And stuff like that.

Also - the right margin seems to be off again (on some threads), perhaps because of the palm pilot updating?

See also [tinyurl.com]

Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 07:03PM

SOME say a poem should be centered,
Some say flush left.
From what Iíve read and whom Iíve mentored
I hold with those who favor centered.
But rules are silly, art is theft,
And thereís no pleasing every one.
So if it comes down to a fight
Then just for fun
Iíll say flush right.

Posted by: J.H.SUMMERS (---.chartertn.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 07:31PM

I don't know about margins and such and I don't have enough expertise to put my Concrete poems on this site...but it would be nice if I could. Sure, I could say "read my poem and while you read it pretend that it is in the shape of a mountain." But it loses something that way..Nice job Marian-NYC, real frosty!

jhs

Posted by: Rudy (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 12:29AM

Les,

At one point phorum did support the features that you ask for, but it seems that they have
removed the functionality. My guess is that they removed the ability to use html in a message because of the possibility of X-site scripting problems. Speaking with Aaron the other day, he says that he recalls, something about their being a limited tag set for use with phorum, but I don't see any documentation on the phorum website.

I must admit that I stoped folowing USP when the snr dropt off the face of the earth, but
that does not mean that I am completely ignoring USP, I
have some ideas of what I would like to do with USP (Probably make it more like the
clasical section of the site), but I don't know where to start with the code just
yet, so I am starting to play around at the periphery, and I whiped out the make
an e-book script while playing around.

Rudy.

Date: November 24, 2003 12:54AM

While we're complaining about features, or the lack thereof, what about the search feature on the USP? It does not do what the instructions below the headlines say. For instance if I wanted to search for some of my old poems, but not my comments: It will not yield a different search, for Les -re: , which the instructions say is possible. It will also not search numbers, which would be nice to find older poems.

These are all just pie-in-the-sky features which I wish we had. Those of us who use the forums do notice what works and what doesn't.

But, if these features did not exist on other forums, nobody would be the wiser. It's kind of like keeping up with the Joneses. If you don't do it, somebody else will.

Les

Date: November 24, 2003 04:45PM

ďread my poem and while you read it pretend that it is in the shape of a mountainĒ--J.H. Summers

I like that thought... but then I usually seek out zero-budget, low-tech solutions to problems because have done so much work with no budget and no tech at all.

That said, it SEEMS to me that our messages (after we hit POST, but not before) are displayed in a font with a standard width per character, and "character" includes punctuation. Therefore, this should come out looking like an hourglass:

.....................Read.........................
....................my poem.......................
.................and while you ...................
............read it pretend that it...............
..........is in the shape of a goblet.............
...........or a diamond, or the long..............
...............winding form of a..................
.................serpent, and.....................
.....................while........................
......................you.........................
.....................are at.......................
...................it why not.....................
................imagine yourself..................
...............reading my poem at.................
.............the top of a mountain?...............
..............or reading under the................
................sea by the light..................
...................of an eel?.....................

Date: November 24, 2003 04:46PM

It worked! It was a lot of bother, but it worked.

J.H., if you have shaped poems to share, you are probably better off ATTACHING them to your posts.

M

Date: November 24, 2003 05:11PM

Marian NYC, I think you're missing the point. Why can't we do designs like this one "here"?

[www.ugcs.caltech.edu] />

Les

Posted by: Pam Adams (134.71.192.---)
Date: November 24, 2003 05:13PM

Looks like he's doing it in a table format.

pam

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-02rh15-16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 25, 2003 12:39PM

Looking at the Source of Les' link, it was done with the < pre > tag, which I have tried on this site, but the font was reduced until it was too tiny to read.

Mebbe it has changed since I last experimented with it, though. Lemme try again.

Italian dining with Tanya
I gorged like a hungry piranha,
But I caught salmonella
From some bad mozzarella
And later said hasta lasagna.

Date: November 25, 2003 12:40PM

Nope, even that capability is gone now.

Date: November 25, 2003 03:21PM

Les: I don't think I'm missing your point. I'm just coming at it from a different angle.

FIRST, I don't expect a discussion forum to have graphic features. I expect it to be designed so that people in three different countries can compare four different translations of a poem in something close to "real time" -- and I think that loading on more programming would slow that down.

SECOND, the swan poem you directed me to is done in exactly the same format as the hourglass thing I made for you. All I did was copy it into Word and change all the SPACES to PERIODS, and I got this:

"Swan and Shadow"
by Charivaria

.........................Dusk
......................Above.the
.................water.hang.the
...........................loud
..........................flies
.........................Here
........................O.so
.......................gray
......................then
.....................What...............A.pale.signal.will.appear
....................When..........Soon.before.its.shadow.fades
...................Where........Here.in.this.pool.of.opened.eye
...................In.us.....No.Upon.us.As.at.the.very.edges
....................of.where.we.take.shape.in.the.dark.air
.....................this.object.bares.its.image.awakening
......................ripples.of.recognition.that.will
.......................brush.darkness.up.into.light
even.after.this.bird.this.hour.both.drift.by.atop.the.perfect.sad.instant.now
.......................already.passing.out.of.sight
......................toward.yet-untroubled.reflection
.....................this.image.bears.its.object.darkening
....................into.memorial.shades.Scattered.bits.of
...................light.....No.of.water.Or.something.across
..................water.........Breaking.up.No.Being.regathered
...................soon...........Yet.by.then.a.swan.will.have
....................gone................Yes.out.of.mind.into.what
.....................vast
......................pale
.......................hush
........................of.a
.........................place
..........................past
................sudden.dark.as
.....................if.a.swan

Date: November 25, 2003 03:22PM

With apologies to Charivaria, who posted "Swan and Shadow" at
[www.ugcs.caltech.edu]

Date: November 25, 2003 03:35PM

Marian NYC, bear in mind that my beef is not with you. For discussion purposes, the site works well enough. Even though it loads very slowly sometimes, especially late at night.

If you recall my original statement from above:

and tags, much more than we would like to know about palm pilots.

None of this refers to the General Discussion forum. My point is simply that the moderators of the website should not dismiss the concerns of the participants by saying "We used to be able to do that." or "We have not tried that."

What I would like to know is what I'm asking about in the above statement possible on the USP, or not? If not, why not?

Les

Date: November 25, 2003 03:38PM

All I did was copy it into Word and change all the SPACES to PERIODS

I wonder what would happen if you changed all the periods into & n b s p's?

I would try it, but I am sure you are more competent than I with such a project.

Date: November 26, 2003 03:23PM

Les - I hope I didn't sound as if I took or meant ANY OF THIS personally. I was just playing with things, that's all. (I did once get into an needlessly personal argument on this forum and deeply regret it.)

Hugh - There's one way to find out what will happen if I change all the periods into & n b s p's. This looks like total nonsense in Word, but let's see what happens here:

"Swan and Shadow"
by Charivaria

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspDusk
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspAbove&nbspthe
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspwater&nbsphang&nbspthe
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsploud
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspflies
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspHere
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspO&nbspso
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspgray
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspthen
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspWhat&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspA&nbsppale&nbspsignal&nbspwill&nbspappear
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspWhen&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspSoon&nbspbefore&nbspits&nbspshadow&nbspfades
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspWhere&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspHere&nbspin&nbspthis&nbsppool&nbspof&nbspopened&nbspeye
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspIn&nbspus&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspNo&nbspUpon&nbspus&nbspAs&nbspat&nbspthe&nbspvery&nbspedges
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspof&nbspwhere&nbspwe&nbsptake&nbspshape&nbspin&nbspthe&nbspdark&nbspair
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspthis&nbspobject&nbspbares&nbspits&nbspimage&nbspawakening
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspripples&nbspof&nbsprecognition&nbspthat&nbspwill
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspbrush&nbspdarkness&nbspup&nbspinto&nbsplight
even&nbspafter&nbspthis&nbspbird&nbspthis&nbsphour&nbspboth&nbspdrift&nbspby&nbspatop&nbspthe&nbspperfect&nbspsad&nbspinstant&nbspnow
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspalready&nbsppassing&nbspout&nbspof&nbspsight
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsptoward&nbspyet-untroubled&nbspreflection
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspthis&nbspimage&nbspbears&nbspits&nbspobject&nbspdarkening
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspinto&nbspmemorial&nbspshades&nbspScattered&nbspbits&nbspof
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsplight&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspNo&nbspof&nbspwater&nbspOr&nbspsomething&nbspacross
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspwater&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspBreaking&nbspup&nbspNo&nbspBeing&nbspregathered
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspsoon&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspYet&nbspby&nbspthen&nbspa&nbspswan&nbspwill&nbsphave
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspgone&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspYes&nbspout&nbspof&nbspmind&nbspinto&nbspwhat
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspvast
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsppale
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsphush
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspof&nbspa
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspplace
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsppast
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspsudden&nbspdark&nbspas
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspif&nbspa&nbspswan

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-04rh16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 26, 2003 07:39PM

Eureka!

Date: December 01, 2003 03:23PM

This doesn't really solve the formatting problem, because visual poems will have to be re-formatted just for posting, but it makes it possible to do so.

And here's how my contribution (above) should have looked:

Some say flush left.

Then just for fun
Iíll say flush right.

Date: December 01, 2003 03:24PM

Oops ... obviously, that didn't work. I meant LIKE THIS:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspSOME&nbspsay&nbspa&nbsppoem&nbspshould&nbspbe&nbspcentered,
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspSome&nbspsay&nbspflush&nbspleft.
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspFrom&nbspwhat&nbspIíve&nbspread&nbspand&nbspwhom&nbspIíve&nbspmentored
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspI&nbsphold&nbspwith&nbspthose&nbspwho&nbspfavor&nbspcentered.

But&nbsprules&nbspare&nbspsilly,&nbspart&nbspis&nbsptheft,&nbsp
And&nbspthereís&nbspno&nbsppleasing&nbspevery&nbspone.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspSo&nbspif&nbspit&nbspcomes&nbspdown&nbspto&nbspa&nbspfight
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspThen&nbspjust&nbspfor&nbspfun
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspIíll&nbspsay&nbspflush&nbspright.

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-01rh15-16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 01, 2003 07:21PM

< green with envy >

Nicely done.

< /green >

Date: December 08, 2003 05:08PM

Did I ever answer the POSTED question?

I do not have a Palm Pilot, in blackberry or any other flavor.

I don't even have a cell phone.

Posted by: kevin (208.34.24.---)
Date: December 11, 2003 07:56PM

He didn't use table formatting (or tables html tags)... if you look at the source, he used the 'pre' tag.

What this tag does is format it as it's written. table formatting would have been very hard to implement.

-Kevin

Posted by: kevin (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 01:12AM

Here is a test of the   done properly (with the semicolon at the end)..

†††††††††††SOME say a poem should be centered,
††††††††††† ††††††† Some say flush left.

†††††††From what Iíve read and whom Iíve mentored
††††††††††I hold with those who favor centered.

†††††††††††††So if it comes down to a fight
††††††††††††††††††††Then just for fun

††††††††††††††††††Iíll say flush right.

Seems to work fine for me... Just a technical note... most tags are turned off the forum to prevent malicious dhtml/javascript posts. The phorum software converts the '<' to '<' and the '>' to '>' to prevent this from happening.

-Kevin

Post Edited (12-12-03 10:57)

Date: December 12, 2003 01:39AM

As a spokesperson for the computer illiterate, Kevin can you give us the prompts we would need to post the following poem as it is typed in the following link:

[www.think-ink.net] />

Bear in mind that we do not want you to do it for us, we want you to show us how it is done so we can do it ourselves. Just the first six lines will do.

Les

Date: December 12, 2003 11:08AM

Kevin, looking at the View Source of your post, there do no appear to BE any non breaking space tags! What's up with that?

Date: December 12, 2003 11:20AM

Ok, here it goes...

First off, the key to adding the extra spacing is the special character code for [space] which is   (don't forget the semicolon).

Now, to format the first six lines of the poem from the link you provided we need to do some counting.

Count the number of spaces the precede the text on each line. So on the first line, "On the coast of Chile where Neruda lived", there are no spaces. On the second line, "    it's well known that", there are 4 spaces that preced the text. When we go to copy this into the forum, we replace each [space] with the special code  . This will tell your browser to place the extra space we need to obtain the formatting we want.

0 x   + On the coast of Chile where Neruda lived +

4 x &nbsp ; + it's well known that +

7 x   + seabirds often steal +

21 x   + letters out of mailboxes +

23 x   + which they would like to scan +

32 x   + for various reasons +

Looking back through the thread, I see the biggest problem is forgetting the semicolon in the   code. Some browsers are forgiving and will still render it properly, but many will not.

Oh, and for those of you who feel really bold and daring... you can write everything in special character codes. This unfortunatly is inefficient because you have to use 4 to 6 characters for the browser to return one.

Here is a link to a page with all the special characters.

[hotwired.lycos.com] />
Copy the code below into the reply text box and click preview. Bam!!!... readable text...

The Mule Rules!!!

Date: December 12, 2003 11:38AM

I believe that phorum has an html preprocessor for any post stored to the database. What this preprocessor does is converts certain things to it's readable format. So for example the greater than sign would be converted to > and stored that way. Then when phorum goes to pull the post for someone to read, it converts the code back to its readable format.

Now, when you directly post something like > there is no conversion. It is stored like that and when the browser renders it, the code is converted to the readable character '>'.

LOGIC:
If '>' is in the text --> Phorum preprocessor converts to &gt; and stores.

If '> is in the text --> It's just stored

NOTE:
Phorum could also do some post processing when the text is recalled from the database. This makes it difficult to determine what's stored which way... if that makes any since.

-Kevin

Date: December 12, 2003 12:00PM

Ok, here goes:

nbsp;it's well known that

nbsp;seabirds often steal

nbsp;letters out of mailboxes

Les

Date: December 12, 2003 12:02PM

All I heard was a loud WHOOSH, but thanks for the efforts.

Date: December 12, 2003 12:03PM

Ok, let's try it with the & sign:

it's well known that

seabirds often steal

letters out of mailboxes

Les

Date: December 12, 2003 12:06PM

Kevin, why is the
still there?

Les

Date: December 12, 2003 12:44PM

It's fun to be a geek!

pam

Date: December 12, 2003 01:38PM

4 x &nbsp ; + it's well known that +

4 x   + it's well known that +

Let's see how this one goes.

Les

Date: December 12, 2003 01:39PM

Pam, I'd have to disagree with you at this point.

Les

Date: December 12, 2003 01:52PM

Maybe the "br" was there because he was cold?

Date: December 12, 2003 02:25PM

Giving it a try:

††††it's well known that

†††††††seabirds often steal

†††††††††††††††††††††letters out of mailboxes +

4 x + it's well known that +

7 x + seabirds often steal +

21 x + letters out of mailboxes +

Date: December 12, 2003 02:27PM

and again without the 'br'

††††it's well known that
†††††††seabirds often steal
†††††††††††††††††††††letters out of mailboxes

4 x + it's well known that
7 x + seabirds often steal
21 x + letters out of mailboxes

Date: December 12, 2003 03:33PM

&nbsp; it's well known that<br />
   &nbsp; seabirds often steal<br />
           &nbsp;  letters out of mailboxes

Date: December 12, 2003 03:36PM

We could be here all night.

4 x +   it's well known that...

10 x +   Les

Date: December 12, 2003 03:54PM

Thanks, for the e-mail Pam, I appreciate it. Thank God someone around here understands where I'm coming from.

Les

Posted by: marian2 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 03:59PM

It's not where you're coming from that worries me, it's where you're going to!

Posted by: Linda (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 12, 2003 06:39PM

I'm with Hugh and Marian2 here. I never bothered progressing beyond Spectrum Basic.

Date: December 13, 2003 12:15AM

Marian2, here's where I'm going:

Some say flush left.

Then just for fun

Iíll say flush right.

Les

Date: December 13, 2003 12:52AM

Kevin, the fool rules?

Damn, I'll never get this right!

The Mule Rules!!!

Date: December 13, 2003 11:52AM

Well, now that is solved ... has anyone noticed that the 'exact phrase' Search feature does not work? For example, searching for palm pilot in this forum all dates yields no results.

Date: December 13, 2003 12:05PM

Hugh, the "+" and "-" features do not work either.

Les

Date: December 13, 2003 01:28PM

When I put "4 x   " I mean, put   four times... i.e.     

Sorry, for the misunderstanding.

-Kevin

Pam Adams wrote:

and again without the 'br'

it's well known that
seabirds often steal
letters out of mailboxes

4 x + it's well known that
7 x + seabirds often steal
21 x + letters out of mailboxes

Date: December 13, 2003 01:43PM

Just a word about the forum. We didn't program it. So, as far as features not working, or extra features showing up where they shouldn't belong, we have very little control has to how it works unless we modify the scripts that generate the phorum.

Unfortunately, we are more focused on repamping the entire site with many new features and more user interaction then fixing things that'll hopefully disappear with the new version of the site.

The original reason for this thread, 'Palm Pilots,' was to get ideas about how people felt about being able to access their favorite classical poems, or any poem for that matter, from a hand held device. I don't want to spoil any suprises, so I'll leave it at that.

-Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.