General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
what does this poem mean?
Posted by: CHRISTIAN (---.Rutgers.EDU)
Date: November 13, 2003 04:05AM

for some reason i don't really understand, maybe i'm trying to think it's more then it really it but can someone just give me their interpretation of this poem...

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye
a fish hook
an open eye

thanks

Re: what does this poem mean?
Posted by: Talia (216.117.99.---)
Date: November 13, 2003 10:29AM

the words "you fit into me" imply a beautiful fit, like a puzzle would fit together to make something complete, but, this idea is quickly struck down by the painful and grotesqe "hook in the eye".....not at all what we first suspected....this is not a love poem, it is a heartache one.

Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: November 13, 2003 03:52PM

I agree. "You fit into me like a hook into an eye" suggests the idea of a perfect fit, like the hook-and-eye closure on a dress.

But then she says NO, NOT THAT KIND and she hits you with this very painful image.

Plus, the CONNECTION ITSELF is the painful thing, in this image. It's not like, say velcro: yummy coming together, aching pulled apart. It's the very thing THAT CONNECTS which also causes the pain.

AND she does it in the fewest words -- hell, the fewest SYLLABLES -- imagineable.

---

Now, if you want to start analyzing FISH and EYE as spiritual symbols ... then you're probably in grad school. Can't help you there.

Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: November 13, 2003 03:55PM

P.S.: I refer to the poet as "she" because this poem is by Margaret Atwood. Not that the speaker has to be female, necessarily.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.