General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Anniversary
Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 10, 2003 12:09AM

Tomorrow marks the anniversary of my posting here at E-mule. Some thank you's are in order.

To Pam and Hugh, thank you for showing me the ropes on the homework forum through your tireless example.

To Hugh, Chesil, Brucefur and Stephen, thank you for raising my standards for performance with the language.

To Jack, Terry, JP and many others thank you for keeping your sense of humor and helping me keep mine.

To Marian NYC, Marian2, Ilsa, Desi, Pam, and Hugh thank you for your inspiration, research, and tolerance of my ignorance.

To Talia, Gwydion, Percival, Critic, and many others thank you for showing me that mine is not the only way to see things.

To JP, J. H., Kellygirl, Chesil and others thank you for being an inspiration to me and everyone who is trying to become a decent writer.

To everyone who has read my work and commented thank you all very much.

Some may wonder how I came by this site. I was searching for this poem. Some of you may recognize it.

John Milton (1608-1674)
Sonnet XIX: When I Consider How my Light is Spent

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."

Les

Re: Anniversary
Posted by: StephenFryer (---.bbd01tcl.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 10, 2003 02:18AM

Well, thank YOU for being here, kid. Your work on this site, your helpfulness to all, your common sense and experience are ... now what was that word? ... oh yes ... awesome!

Stephen

Posted by: JP (---.tnt1.rochelle.il.da.uu.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 10:45AM

Thankyou Les,

Lucky the day for us when you came across this site. You provide invaluable feedback and I learned what a gerund was.

JP

Date: November 10, 2003 12:49PM

Thank you Stephen, for being the best moderator I've never met!

Les

Posted by: J.H.SUMMERS (---.chartertn.net)
Date: November 10, 2003 07:54PM

Les,

Happy Anniversary! I am happy if you find any of my work to be an inspiration, but I must say that it is eMule that benefits the most from your presence. You devote much time and effort here and I for one appreciate it.

John

Date: November 10, 2003 08:17PM

Thanks, J. H. you always hold to a high standard in your work. That is something all our writers should try to imitate.

Les

Posted by: Talia (216.117.99.---)
Date: November 11, 2003 11:48AM

Thank you, Les for including little ole' me in your list. You have an annivarsary? Wow....you must really be a crazy poet! You belong here!

Date: November 11, 2003 11:57AM

Yes, Talia, I'm compulsive about some things like milestones. How about yourself? What day did you begin to post on e-mule?

Les

Posted by: Linda (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 12, 2003 04:25PM

You remember such things? I have to ask my children when their birthdays are (St Francis day, Orangeman's day, St Stanislaus day, but I can't remember the exact dates.)

Posted by: Talia (216.117.98.---)
Date: November 12, 2003 04:37PM

The last day I smoked a cigarette: August 3 1997

Date: November 12, 2003 04:42PM

That's a good one to remember. Actually, Linda the only reason I remember this date is that for many months it came up when I searched for old poems. Now it takes too long for me to find those really old poems of mine, but I do still remember the date.

Interesting side note: I read posts and observed what was said about them for 6-8 weeks before I posted any comments of my own on any of the forums.
Also, I waited from Veterans Day to Christmas before actually posting any of my own poems here.

Les

Posted by: Pam Adams (134.71.192.---)
Date: November 12, 2003 06:33PM

A Happy Anniversary to you too! (I know, I'm behind)

Sorry to leave you to carry the ball so much lately on the Homework Assistance- it's advising season, so I've got lots of student traffic.

pam

Date: November 12, 2003 06:42PM

Pam, the nice thing about this website, compared to many of the others which promise to help students with questions about literature, is that this site really delivers on that promise. People like Hugh, Linda, Ian and you actually read the students questions and comment daily. That's unheard of on most websites that I have seen. It's also what attracted me immediately to the website. I commented for about six weeks on the homework forum before posting any poems I had written.

Les

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.MCLNVA23.covad.net)
Date: November 12, 2003 08:15PM

Most phorums decline to comment on homework questions, even if cleverly disguised as innocent queries. They claim, perhaps rightfully so, that students should be forced to handle such questions on their own, without asking around. Still, I often suspect fear of being caught out on a clearly erroneous explication is a large part of such refusals. Not a problem for me personally, since I ain't got one right yet. Plus, I don't see why one should not permit oneself the occasional blatantly wrong answer given to a petitioner who is merely looking for the easy way out.

Bottom line - those that sincerely come with questions leave with more things to think about when they depart - that'll teach 'em!

Date: November 12, 2003 09:05PM

Hugh I agree with much of what you say:

My only question with this statement is how can you tell who is looking for the easy way out and who is genuinely stumped?

My pet peeve are those students who want "all" the answers immediately.

You and I realize that more often than not there are "no" correct answers. Anyone who tries to tell me that they have William Blake figured out is probably way off base. On the other hand I see the fact that most students who come here have genuine needs which take some sort of push in the proper direction. I have no trouble giving them a boost along their way. Just don't ask me to write your paper for you, or tell you what you think about a subject.

Les

Posted by: Pam Adams (134.71.192.---)
Date: November 12, 2003 09:10PM

I think that we strike a happy medium here- we don't write essays, but try and steer people in the right (or wrong when we're feeling evil) direction.

pam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.