General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
E-mule Inc. ?
Posted by: E.J. Lewis (203.162.37.---)
Date: September 18, 2003 11:06AM

Been with you for nearly two years but don't know too much about you. Do you have a biograph or possibly could prepare one. Don't skimp on the details.

Re: E-mule Inc. ?
Posted by: kevin (208.34.24.---)
Date: September 18, 2003 02:17PM

We really don't have a biography or anything about ourselves. What would you like to know?

E.J. Lewis wrote:

Been with you for nearly two years but don't know too much
about you. Do you have a biograph or possibly could prepare
one. Don't skimp on the details.

Posted by: E.J. Lewis (203.162.163.---)
Date: September 18, 2003 02:45PM

What is E-mule ? A company, a corporation, or what ? When were you born ? Who are your parents ? Who invented the name, E-mule ? Who are your current board members, owners, etc. ? Where are your offices, head-quarters ? Have you ever thought about requiring to post a users profile after a minimum of 5 submissions ?
You know, stuff like that.

Posted by: Linda (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 18, 2003 02:50PM

Well a bunch of us are refugees from the Poetry Library Lost Quotations site which closed after it was trolled (don't ask me what that means, I did asked and ended up in a dicussion about Scandinavian mythical creatures as against fishing tecniques.)

Posted by: E.J. Lewis (203.162.163.---)
Date: September 18, 2003 03:03PM

You pulling my leg ? Strange response - but seeing that you're british may mean something. Maybe you lost your job because you couldn't spell correctly.

Posted by: Pam Adams (---)
Date: September 18, 2003 03:05PM

E.J.,

I think you're getting responses both from the people who run Emule, such as kevin, and users of Emule.

pam

Posted by: StephenFryer (---.wfd13.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 18, 2003 03:15PM

Aw, these boys are too too shy. But here's ol' Aaron's site -

[www.gilmer.net] />

Stephen

Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 18, 2003 03:38PM

There's a thread in here where Rudy talks about starting e-mule. I'm kind of curious myself about how they decided upon the name. It doesn't quite fit in with the poetry tag.

Les

Posted by: Pam Adams (---.bus.csupomona.edu)
Date: September 18, 2003 04:20PM

At one point, it was referred to as 'kick-ass.'

pam

Posted by: Talia (216.117.98.---)
Date: September 18, 2003 05:59PM

They must be democrats. I never would have thought a CPA, boy scout.

Posted by: Jack? (---.southg01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2003 09:12PM

Talia-

Anybody can be a scout. An Eagle scout is a whole nother kettle o' fish.
It's a much bigger deal than most people understand.

Jack

Date: September 18, 2003 10:54PM

An Eagle scout is definitely something I would look at favorably in a resume.

Les

Posted by: Talia (216.117.99.---)
Date: September 19, 2003 04:06PM

Forgive me. I did not mean to disrespect.

Posted by: rgilmer (---.biz.mindspring.com)
Date: September 19, 2003 04:22PM

Hello!

I may work on the 'official biography' and post it somewhere buried within the 'about' section on emule.com/poetry --- but to get a couple answers out:

The emule.com name was actually voted upon by Kevin, myself and Rudy at Buffalo's. We had gone through every dictionary in search of the perfect name. Eventually we came to the conclusion that everything was taken and began various combinations, eventually we took names we though had potential and inserted an 'e' in front. Eventually we settled upon emule.com (I believe the acronym I created was 'Educational, Multi-User Learning Environment' or something. Kevin developed the 'kick-ass' tag line we first used on our initial web design. And Rudy, well, Rudy just doesn't write anything I would ever show to anyone else.

I believe we had over 2 dozen names for our domain. I believe the other 23 candidates have subsequently been registered by other unrelated projects.

And yes, I had fun in scouting (as did Kevin, again Rudy was the odd-man out in this area as well).

In regards to the resume, I have FINIALLY left Linux Labs (thank god!). Disfunctional doesn't exactly label the group running that company. Beginning October 1st, I'll work for a public CPA firm here in the suburbs who specialize in the Low Income Housing Tax Credit and other real estate accounting topics.

I'll start on the biography but it could be a while before anything is ever posted online....

Aaron

--El mulo poeta - contact@emule.com

Posted by: rgilmer (---.biz.mindspring.com)
Date: September 19, 2003 04:27PM

AMMENDMENT:

emule.com, Inc. is a register corporation here in the State of Georgia. The Secretary of State for Georgia provides some limited (if not very exciting information) about the company we have setup:

[www.ganet.org] />

Aaron

--El mulo poeta - contact@emule.com

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-04rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 19, 2003 04:45PM

Disfunctional doesn't exactly label the group running that company.

Snerk! I'm thinking they don't read these pages, either.

Date: September 19, 2003 06:03PM

What's an eagle scout? Would it be something like a queen's scout, one who's experienced everything scouting has to offer?

Posted by: Jack? (---.southg01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2003 08:08PM

Linda-

Aaron can probably expound on this at great length. I'll start it off by saying that it is a VERY rigorous program offered only to the cream of the crop in scouting. There is a long list of requirements to meet, and many hoops to jump through. It's a physical, psychological, yes even a spiritual ordeal. The rewards down the road can be substantial.

High school graduate? Big deal.
College grad? No sweat.
Decorated Vet? Anybody can blunder into that (I've seen it)
Eagle Scout? Here's my house/car keys. The loaded pistol is in the glove box. My life savings in the cookie jar. I'm going out for a while. See ya later.

Unlike other awards that are pretty much a matter of 'Stick around long enough, and we'll rubber stamp a piece of paper that tells the world that you accomplished something.' Attaining the rank of Eagle Scout is a REAL acheivement.
Earning it would be a difficult chore for most responsible adults. The fact that it can be done by teenagers, surrounded by peers who don't understand the value, is remarkable.

Jack (retired after THREE YEARS as a tenderfoot scout)

Posted by: kevin (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 20, 2003 05:57PM

Amen to that one!!

Believe it or not, 3 out of the 4 original eMule maintainers are Eagle Scouts.

As mentioned, Aaron and myself, plus my brother Kris. Rudy was the odd man out on that one.

Anyway, if you all must know...

Aaron handles the Royalty Site, the Poetry Forums, Accounting and all the other misc. business stuff.

Rudy is our technical guy. He handles the servers and does 99.9% of the programming and stuff behind the scenes.

Kris is a content manager. He adds new poems and gets those e-mails that are about poems to add and errors in the site content.

And I (Kevin) along with Aaron handle the HTML and navigation of the site, plus I do the other .1% of the programming.

It's all a little complex and we usually have to consult with one another before changes are made. For example, if Rudy adds a new tag to our template language or if Aaron changes something with the advertising it'll usually affect the user output. All in all though, it's pretty fun maintaining this site and we hope to make it a better experience for everyone.

-Kevin

Hey! Rudy.
Date: September 21, 2003 12:21AM

The other day, Tuesday I think, I got an error message which said send an e-mail to RMilan. Is that you?

It asked to tell what was happening when this message appeared.

I was just trying to reach the site like I do about a half dozen times a day.

Les

Date: September 21, 2003 06:31PM

Thanks, sounds as if its closer to the DoE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.