General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Poe, The Raven
Posted by: relient_bug (---.r.state.mn.us)
Date: September 11, 2003 03:28AM

I need to analyze and truly understand The Raven by E.A. Poe. I am praying that someone is willing to lend a poor college student a hand in digesting a poem of this magnitude. I have read over the poem and understand the basic concept is that the narrator is driving himself insane by longing for his deceased love Lenore. He sees the raven, which may or may not be a figment of his imagination, as a bad omen; something that is mocking him, and making him long for his dead love Lenore. I need help understanding the flow of the piece, and any aditional information or hints that can be lended. Thank you for your time.

~~Sarah~~

Re: Poe, The Raven
Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: September 11, 2003 11:43AM

Lucky you -- the author of the poem wrote a guide to interpreting it!

[bau2.uibk.ac.at] />
(No kidding - it's Poe's "how I wrote THE RAVEN" essay!)

After that, do a net search for "poe + raven + criticism" and you'll have lots of things to choose from.

Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 11, 2003 03:40PM

Bug, this site may be helpful:

[www.poedecoder.com] />

Les

Posted by: Elliot (149.123.60.---)
Date: September 11, 2003 06:00PM

Dear Reliant,

Perhaps the joke is on all those who try to analyze such a poem. To me, it is nothing more than EAP's mystic, spooky puffery. Perhaps what keeps the poem "famous" is that it sounds like it might have some "message" or alterior underpinnings, and for centuries peple have been at it, but beside some obvious dark symbolism... a lost love and a talking raven... "forever more..." there is nothing more to it.

Back in "the old days" this was cutting edge spookiness. Nothing like it had been seen before. Imagine the impact of a "Jason" or Stephen King movie on someone brought up on "Gidget" level movies, they'd $#!? in their pants! EAP had that kind of impact. By today's standard of spookiness, he is quite tame, and if you are trying to find some deeper philosophic message f'getaboudit... You'd have better luck with a Stephen King item.

Warm regards,
Elliot

Posted by: StephenFryer (---.wfd13.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: September 13, 2003 06:04PM

And go here:

<[www.emule.com] />

Stephen

Date: September 15, 2003 02:20PM

Elliot wrote: "Back in "the old days" this was cutting edge spookiness."

Certainly the bar has been raised -- the wrong bar, in my opinion, but raised it has been -- by subsequent masters of spooky.

HOWEVER, my 8-year-old nephew loved "The Raven" the first time he heard it, found it plenty "spooky" without being scary, and that was his first step into reading poetry for pleasure. (I mean as opposed to having it read TO him for pleasure.) So it's still a contender.

(At present, Sam's favorite poet is Lewis Carroll.)

Posted by: Elliot (---.92ndsty.org)
Date: September 17, 2003 06:25PM

THE RAVEN loved by an 8 year old; that is part of my point; yes, these days EAP is read for pleasure as it lacks contemparary level spookiness.

To me the spooky part is all the pseudo-literati continuing the 'flap' over deeper meanings in RAVEN. Quite funny.

E.

Posted by: Pam Adams (---)
Date: September 17, 2003 06:59PM

Come on, people have to get tenure somehow.

pam

Date: September 17, 2003 07:03PM

Yeah, but have you ever noticed that RAVEN spelled backwards ...

(never mind)

Posted by: Pam Adams (---.bus.csupomona.edu)
Date: September 17, 2003 07:47PM

Actually, it wasn't a raven, it was a black helicopter.

pam

Date: September 18, 2003 09:47AM

Oh, Pam, that explains SO MUCH!

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-01rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 18, 2003 12:35PM

I noticed in today's newspaper Jumble that chesil anagrams to chiles and/or chisel, if that is relevant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.