General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
There's books... and BOOKS
Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: August 08, 2003 11:07AM

On another thread, I quoted a couple of sentence's from Ruskin about the difference between books for a day and books for all time.

Attached is a longer excerpt from SESAME AND LILIES -- including those lines.

It's not about POETRY, but it's about what to read, and how... questions that come up over and over again on this forum.

MARIAN

Attachments: Sesame and Lilies - excerpt.doc (41KB)  
Re: There's books... and BOOKS
Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-03rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 08, 2003 01:01PM

Yes, generally a wise man, Mr Ruskin. An art critic as well. Whistler once successfully (though at great cost) sued him for libel over comments made about one of his (Whistler's) paintings:

[www.jssgallery.org] />
"The ill-educated conceit of the artist ... approached the aspect of willful imposture, . . . I have seen, and heard, much of Cockney impudence before now; but never expected to hear a coxcomb ask two hundred guineas for flinging a pot of paint in the public's face."

Re: There's books... and BOOKS
Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: August 11, 2003 06:44PM

"ask two hundred guineas for flinging a pot of paint in the public's face"

Reminds me of a great line from THE WEST WING.

A critic of the NEA was reading a list of projects she considered unworthy of funding from the public pocket: "... $20,000 to a woman who's performances involve covering her naked body with chocolate! Fifteen hundred dollars to a young man whose project was burning his personal belongings in front of a bookstore in Berkeley."

Sam Seaborn happened to walk through the room as she was reading the last example, and he said, "I've done that a few times. I didn't realize there was funding available." And left.

(I'm waiting patiently for an opportunity to use that line in real life!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.