General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Changed my life
Posted by: -Les- (---.trlck.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 11:56PM

Keeper of the Light's thread about words prompted me to think on a little bit larger scale about books. More particularly written works which changed me.
The works of Carlos Casteneda and Kahil Gabran come to mind.

What about the rest of you are there any books, novels, or even poems which
changed your life, or changed the way you look at life.

Les

Re: Changed my life
Posted by: KD (---.algx.iadfw.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 09:10AM

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears the sound of a different drummer. Let him listen to the music which he hears, no matter how measured or far away."-Thoreau. This has helped me when others do not understand why I am the way I am , look at things the way I do, and think the way I think.

Posted by: dennis (---.gardena-02rh16rt.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 11:59AM

Albert Einstein; ideas and opinions
Dudjom Rinpoche; the nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism
best dlc------nice question.

Posted by: Keeper of Light (---.texoma.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 01:48PM

Thanks Les. Always glad to prompt!

I can't think of the author right at this point, but the book "The Times That Try Men's Souls" really changed my life.

I was only 12 when I read it, but it really made me think. It is about the revolutionary war. I absolutely loved it. It is still my favorite book.

My brother thought that I was too young to understand such a thing, but I wrote him a summary and he said that he was very surprised. He thought that 700 and something words was too much for me. Ha!

"Loving people is like farting in the wind; You don't actually accomplish anything, but you feel better."

~The Great and Powerful Angelia~

Posted by: Marian-NYC (---.nyc1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 02:00PM

Long ago I stumbled upon a website where someone posted his "Top 100" list WITHOUT SPECIFYING 100 WHAT. And there weren't exactly 100 things on it, either. What he did was list a lot of created works that he felt had had significant impact on him as a person.

I tried putting together my own "Top X" list and it was an interesting exercise, sorting movies and books and poems and whatever... NOT by any measurement of "quality," but by the importance they had in shaping me.

The first and biggest place went, without question, to PETER PAN -- the novel, not the play or musical or movie.

And then there were dozens of works with a question attached: Did they change me, or did they AFFIRM for me a change that had already taken place, or was taking place?

NOT all of the importance of the works was positive. I also included things that perhaps I should not have been allowed to read or see, but if they troubled me in a formative way, they made the list.

===

And there's another possible categories: Stuff that you come back to over and over again and find DIFFERENT each time, because it reflects back to you how you yourself have changed. In that category for me: most of Shakespeare, THE GOOD SOLDIER by Ford Madox Ford, ECCLESIASTES, and the BAGAVAD GITA.

Posted by: Keeper of Light (---.texoma.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 02:10PM

Ecclesiastes. Most certainly can't go wrong there. Has to be my second favorite book!

"Loving people is like farting in the wind; You don't actually accomplish anything, but you feel better."

~The Great and Powerful Angelia~

Posted by: Talia (---.plymouth.in.hypervine.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:20PM

The book that changed me, I mean CHANGED me was "The Holy Bible". The Godly princliples in it can be used to anyone's benefit, Chrisitan or not. Also, I am currently reading John Steinbeck's "East of Eden". Wow! What a book. It says so much, I wonder what it will do to me at the end.

Posted by: Julia33 (---.auckland.clix.net.nz)
Date: July 10, 2003 11:24PM

So many things! First to spring to mind, though, was GM Hopkins' poetry. Affected both my faith and my attitude to literature.

Um, the King James bible. The Narnia books. Samuel Beckett's novels. Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Oh, everything - I'm just a sponge.

Date: July 11, 2003 12:08AM

Since I started this let me say, at the inspiration of Marian NYC, that a book which I keep going back to again and again is The Way Of Life according to Lao Tzu. It's one of those books that changes with you. I read and reread different passages, each with its own special meaning. The relevant passages change as my life and situations change.

Les

Posted by: J.H.SUMMERS (---.chartertn.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 06:49AM

To Kill a Mockingbird...Harper Lee

The Grapes of Wrath...John Steinbeck

It was my father who taught me to judge a man by what he says and what he does...not by where he is from or by the color of his skin. It was these two books that taught me how very right he was.

jhs

Posted by: gorddev (---.ym.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 11:33PM

Reading this thread from top to bottom I found reference to the two works that immidiately came to my mind. I had an experience reading Hopkins' "God's Grandeur" which popped my top. First year of university, watching my best friend try to write an English paper, together we re-read and analysed that poem into dust. It gave me a taste of the rewards to be reaped from getting the dictionary off of the shelf, reading the poem over and over, rewriting the meaning in your own words and then reading it again. Also, the Tao Te Ching came into my hands as a teenager, and although I haven't read it lately, those 80-some chapters continually pop up in my thoughts as a shining example of balance and sensitivity. Many times the book has exerted the calming influence I've needed.

Gord

Date: July 12, 2003 02:07PM

Gord, here's a link to the Tao te Ching in case you're interested in revisiting it.

[home.switchboard.com] />

Les

Posted by: desire (---.router.hinet.net)
Date: July 13, 2003 11:27AM

Wow, Les. They don't call you the Link Master for nuthin', I'm impressed. How do you find a link for every topic anyway?

desire

Date: July 13, 2003 11:54AM

Desire, it's no secret really. If you go to any search engine, and look up a keyword such as "Big Sur, photography", someone will undoubtedly have a link you can use. Then you merely cut and paste the link. If you use one of these < before and one of these > after the link you make a hyperlink.

[www.mindspring.com] />
Les

Posted by: dennis (---.gardena-04rh16rt.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 16, 2003 12:19PM

Yes, yes. That is an excellent choice. At eighteen it made everything
different for me. And there are so many excellent translations. dlc

Posted by: joseph torelli (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2003 02:10PM

For me, it's Tennyson....especially Idylls of the King. I'm still moved to this day every time I read King Arthur's final words, in particular:

"The old order changeth, yielding place to new,
And God fulfils Himself in many ways,
Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

Posted by: desire (---.hinet.net)
Date: July 18, 2003 11:29AM

I'm presently reading 1984. Freaked me to death!

Posted by: joseph torelli (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 19, 2003 07:34AM

Desire:

Orwell is among my favorite authors. As you read "1984," think about Newspeak and what the story has to say about the use and control of language as a means of gaining absolute power. Then read some of the quotes our world leaders are spewing forth today. Now, that's freaky!

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-03rh16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 19, 2003 10:14AM

Double plus ungood.

Posted by: desire (---.hinet.net)
Date: July 19, 2003 11:00AM

Joseph, that's exactly why it freaks me out. Not just Newspeak but even the level of survellience that we are surrounded with and so many other things in the book that are exactly how life is right now. I think Orwell was a prophet.

des

Date: July 19, 2003 12:38PM

It's the old argument about whether art imitates life, or vice versa.

On TV yesterday I saw them featuring a new palm pilot device complete with video screen that you wear like a wrist watch. Are you there Dick Tracy?

Les

Posted by: sasha (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 19, 2003 05:16PM

The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

Posted by: Charlotte Sometimes (---.panafonet.gr)
Date: July 21, 2003 08:04PM

''Crime & Punishment'' by Fiodor Dostoievski.I read it about 10 years ago.I was shocked!

Posted by: desire (---.router.hinet.net)
Date: August 14, 2003 10:27AM

It would be impossible for me to choose one book or writing that's affected me the most, but this poem has always been a major guidance/inspiration in my life.

By Thomas Wyatt

O'er uncharted sea
To their hearts' desire
Do the men of faith set sail,
While the beaten men
Walk with fearful hearts
Along life's beaten trail.

The men of faith will challenge
Both men and Satan's wrath,
But the beaten men will compromise
And walk the beaten path.

Beaten roads are for beaten men,
As they walk with measured tread,
With tuneless souls they move along
To dwell among the dead.

But men of faith climb unscaled walls,
And sail uncharted sea.
They dare to cross convention's bounds
To set the captives free.

Post Edited (08-15-03 09:56)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.