General Discussion
 Topics of or related to poetry. 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A hello, and a note on my writting style.
Posted by: SilkFever (63.170.182.---)
Date: June 11, 2003 06:26PM

Just wanted to say Hello, im new here and wanted to explain how i write so as not to confuse anyone.

Most of my poems are written by what some might call Channelling.

I feel an intense need to write, so i open up a a wordpad, or get a peice of paper, close my eyes, and feel the poetry, and just start writing, i never really know what im writeing till im done.

This is how most of my poetry is written.

However, some (the older Poems) are actually ones that i just wrote myself, without using this technique. Most are obvious, about which is a Channelled poem, and which is actually from me, becuase the two styles are so very diffrent.

Most of the channelled poems, i beleive are emotions a feelings that i pick up from others around me, although im not really sure, i dont tend to question it much, i just kinda go with it.

When im done writing one, ill read it, for the first time, and try to figure out, what the message is .

i feel that my purpose as a writer is to be a conveyer, of a message, that the poems i write are meant as a message for someone, so i do my best to get them out there, where people can read or see them.

Im not here to look for ways to enhance or change my poetry, im here looking for a place, to get my work out there, for people to read and comment, and to try and help me understand the meanings of some of the more elusive poems.

I beleive once one of these poems is written it should not be changed, so im not going to change anything about them, except maybe spelling mistakes.
anyway, thats about it, just wanted to say hello, and get that out there.

Post Edited (06-11-03 17:31)

~When you feel the silken fever consume your heart , there i shall be.~

~Amber~

Re: A hello, and a note on my writting style.
Posted by: sasha (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 19, 2003 05:01PM

Believe is spelt as I have spelt it, as is piece (i before e except after c!! and I'LL has an apostrophe to mark the contraction, as does i'm!! It is also generally accepted that you drop the last vowel when adding a suffix, hence write becomes writing. It would also be a good idea to check that your 'tense' remains constant and that your subject and verb agree.
Your message will be much clearer!!!!
Here endeth the grammar lesson.

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-02rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 20, 2003 06:40PM

Skitt's Law strikes again!

"Parentheses always appear in pairs. Do not use an opening or a closing parenthesis by itself."

The Encarta® Manual of Style and Usage Copyright © 1998 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by: Talia (---.plymouth.in.hypervine.net)
Date: July 21, 2003 12:23PM

Is it really necessary to give grammar lessons and point out such obvious minute errors? Really now, as we type away we make mistakes. Get over it!

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-03rh15rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 21, 2003 01:14PM

Right. Skitt's Law states that any grammar flame will contain a grammar error. Uncanny how often it holds true, n'est pas?

Posted by: Julia33 (---.auckland.clix.net.nz)
Date: July 23, 2003 02:47AM

Deliberate, Hugh?

Posted by: Julia33 (---.auckland.clix.net.nz)
Date: July 23, 2003 02:58AM

I completely fail to understand this theory of 'poetry'. It seems to me equivalent to offering to bring the reader a box of items randomly selected from the city dump. Sure, there might be a gem in there, but if it wasn't worth your time and effort refining the effluvia of your brain, isn't it the height of arrogance to assume it's worth the reader's time?

Posted by: Hugh Clary (---.denver-02rh16rt.co.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 23, 2003 10:09AM

"n'est pas"? But of course. And your crit: spot on.

Posted by: Elliot (149.123.60.---)
Date: August 07, 2003 05:56PM

Dear SilkFever,
For most writers, I would guess, there is an element of "channeling" and even automatic (inspired) writing, as if the words are given to you from somewhere, or someone in the Great Beyond.

and Julia33, yes, there is a lot of trash writing (as is most of the movie business), I guess, because people often will suck in anything. Novels and movies have gotten out of hand with their sensationalism (Examples: Sanford's EYES OF PREY books, TERMINATORS, TOUMB RAIDER, etc.) The only solution is to keep your standards high along with your sense of humor.

Elliot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.