General Discussion
 General Discussion 

eMule -> The Poetry Archive -> Forums -> General Discussion

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
first line = I must go down to the sea again
Posted by: Catherine (---.crpud.net)
Date: September 20, 2000 01:56PM

I am looking for a poem I once memorized. I know the first line is "I must go down to the sea again"
I think it continues, "To the lonely sea and the sky, and all I ask is a tall ship. and a star to steer her by."
If anyone knows who wrote it and/ or where I can find it, I would appreciate the help.
Thank you.

RE: first line = I must go down to the sea again
Date: September 20, 2000 02:42PM

Well, sometimes we are our own best help. I discovered "phrase searches"
This is "Sea-Fever" by John Masefield I include the text below for the interested.

Sea-Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like
a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

John Masefield

Posted by: Kevin (---.atl.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 23, 2000 01:23PM

Here is a link to this and other works by Poet Laureate John Masefield:

[www.emule.com]

Posted by: Chesil (---.ims.bt.net)
Date: September 24, 2000 06:50AM

This was always a great favourite of mine - probably one of the first poems that I learnt by heart.

I have always been interested in the fact that the first line is published by respectable sources in two different ways, either:

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky

or,

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky

I beleive the Masefield Society itself has had some thoughts on this and it was discussed in volume 2 of their journal.

My personal view is that the version without 'go' scans better but that may simply be that it was this version that I learned by heart!

Chesil

Posted by: Soma (---.tnt1.hba1.da.uu.net)
Date: September 24, 2000 10:14PM

Chesil
And of course you will have noticed how the 's' gets dropped from 'seas' to make another popular variant (this thread title, for example).

I have known this poem like forever. In those wonderful years of childhood, I did not always attend school but spent days and sometimes weeks on a tiny 90 ton coal-burning steamship which had a regular run carrying produce to and from about a dozen ports within a 100 miles of my home. My uncle was first mate, and he insisted I learn the ship and seamanship and take on duties as though a member of the crew, (not that I needed any urging). It was a wonderful education for a 10 year old boy.

I recall one time my uncle asked me to write down the name of every item about a ship, learn what it was, and be sure I could tell him if he asked what is a f'c's'le or a binnacle or a marlin spike or whatever. That is where I struck a problem with Masefield's "Sea Fever" and in particular the line "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" What was 'a star to steer her by' ? Was it another name for the wheel or the rudder or some other gadget to keep the ship on course? I dismissed a star in the sky as a possibility until, after expressing my ignorance, my uncle set me on course and taught me celestial navigation! I have never forgotten the night sky since then nor have I forgotten "Sea Fever"!

Thanks to everyone
Date: September 24, 2000 10:27PM

Thank you all for your responses. I enjoyed hearing that I am not the only one who, having learned this poem in childhood, loved it still.

Posted by: clem sweeney (---.frptny.optonline.net)
Date: September 25, 2000 05:36AM

I think this is by John Masefield.

Posted by: Pat Hathaway (---.inetarena.com)
Date: October 17, 2000 11:22PM

I loved this story. Thanks for sharing it. I'll bet your uncle would have liked Hopkin's "Pied Beauty."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This poetry forum at emule.com powered by Phorum.